How to ID a black widow anemone?

ThePhoReefer

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2020
Messages
552
Reaction score
169
Location
San Jose
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a black widow anemone. How do I know I’m getting a black widow and not a rainbow bta? Help please.
 
Black widows have a Purple foot, my lights are dimming down and getting blue otherwise I’d get a photo for you.
 
Last edited:
1587275620692.png

orange hair, black leather
 
Look for webbing on the oral disk and widows should not have green in it
 
Widows will have a very dark foot, sometimes dark purple-ish, with white striations and speckles, and metallic red tentacles
 
1. Dark red tentachles
2. Dark reddish foot (as opposed to a very light color for rose BTA)
3. Webbings on the oral disc that could be accompanied by speckles all over the disc or on the tentacles
4. some of them have a rose like concentric pattern on the oral disc

It is a bit tricky because lighting on the photos could differ. Also some people have them and dont give enough light (like a lot of light) so they end up with pale colors like rose bta.

Hope this helps. Look at my avatar, these are mine :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new