How to improve PE in Acros?

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have Acros in two of my systems. In one, I get very nice, nearly constant polyp extension on Acros. In the other, I get almost none. The Acros and other SPS are growing in both systems (although much faster in the system with good PE).

Like any home display tanks, these systems are too different to easily identify the one factor that's causing the difference. I can say with confidence its not any obvious water chemistry parameters, since I maintain both close to NSW levels (except with elevated Mg at about 1400 for the sake of the Montis).

So my question for you R2R - what do you think is responsible for constant PE? Has anyone made a change that resulted in improved polyp extension for Acros?

(I know some don't think PE matters, but while I respectfully disagree, that's beside the point anyway. I'm jealous of the PE I see in other peoples' photos, and I want it in my living room.)

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, and I am no expert, but 2 common things can affect PE.
1) Nippers, like dwarf angels or blennies. they may not eat the coral, but nip it enough to keep it retracted. I had not PE in my old system until I got rid of a flame angel, and within a week, PE everywhere!
2) I have read, but only anecdotally, that PE is from hungry acros and well fed, but healthy acros don't extend polyps as much.

There is likely more things that factor into PE, but I wanted to throw out my 2 cents.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, I have be able to get the most PE during the day when I lower my N03. I would also see what they are doing at night. I periodically look at my tank at night and often find that the acros that don’t show much PE during the day will often have some crazy PE at night to feed. Also, no matter how hard we try, no 2 tanks are the same.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are colorful and growing, then do not sweat PE. Seriously... it is like chasing your tail.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back