I did not say that
WWC or any vendor had only one mp40 and a return pump... just that in general is probably not competent for an SPS tank yet can be fine on other types of systems. I am sorry that you misread this.
Again, I do not care very much what a retailer says or does. Nobody should too much unless they factor in EVERY SINGLE thing that they do and not just cherry pick one thing like flow or lighting. I listen to it and process it, but do not take it for gospel or offer it as a solution to people without a bunch of caveats. They have different goals than me. The turn and burn paradigm and farming are different than growing a reef in my home. What does a good hobbyist say? Does Copps or Ed or JB blast so much flow that their sand cannot stay put? Nope. Do they have better tanks than
WWC or Jason Fox? Depends... yes, for a hobbyist, but they would not be able to do what Jason Fox or
WWC do on a daily basis and would have to change it up to farm or do retail.
There is so much more at work here when you are talking about a retailer vs a hobbyist. Do people forget that Jason Fox changes a massive amount of water quite frequently? ...is it like 50% a week? Is this not a factor? Just deciding to change 50% water a week and thinking that you can be like Jason Fox is just as unrealistic as thinking that his amount of flow is all that matters. Some of these retailers do not dose two-part, run a CaRx or do any kind of calcium and carbonate supplementing since they are constantly adding in fresh saltwater to replace water that goes out the door in bags.
I did see the Riddle exercise. Almost no flow vs a competent amount... my point exactly.
We probably are not disagreeing that much at all. Competent water flow for SPS is no small amount. However, I have far less than 2 mp60s and 5 mp40s on my larger tank and I do not know how I could have much better results. Are there any high-end hobbyist examples that you would like to share where massive amounts of flow have better results than just a competent amount of flow? I have seen a few, but I have also seen many that show the opposite.
BTW - if anybody is any good at keeping acropora and other SPS, your flow will not be the same in 6, 12 or 24 months... as the stuff grows, the flow gets weaker and the type of flow starts to matter. If you have a wide-body flow pump (like MPs), they they tend to flow around stuff where as the more pointed and directional pumps can still get into and inbetween the corals. Wavebox can also get in-between every branch of every colony all at the same time. This is not a huge deal with frags and mini colonies, but with actual colonies the type pump matters.