How to increase phosphates

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Mrx7899, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Mrx7899

Mrx7899 Well-Known Member

Over the last month and a half or so my SPS have been losing color in my 38 gallon tank 42 actual gallons and I come to realize that my tank is too clean I've always tested zero for nitrates and phosphates Hanna phosphorus ulr and red sea pro test kits. So I shut down my gfo 2 weeks ago stopped doing 10% weekly water changes only going to do once a month now. Started dosing potassium nitrate my nitrates are 2 now which is where I want them but can not get phosphates up. Been feeding more has not made a difference. Did some research and found brightwell make Neophos which is supposed to raise phosphates but didn't find much about people using it. Should I just wait A little longer and see what happens or is there something I can dose to raise it up thanks

Jason mack likes this.

2. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

Jason mack likes this.
  3. Mrx7899

Mrx7899 Well-Known Member

For the monosodium phosphate what would the mixture be would it be like potassium nitrate where you mix two tablespoons to two cups of ro di

Jason mack likes this.
  4. Velcro

Velcro Valuable Member

Feed more. Nori has a lot of phosphate in it. Formula 2 is also packed with phosphate. Your fish and corals will love you!

Jason mack likes this.
  5. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

You can dissolve either product to any reasonable concentration you want. But you dose a lot less phosphate than you dose nitrate. I'd wait till you get a specific product to do calculations as there are several possibilities. :)

Jason mack likes this.
  6. flintian

flintian Member

Very curious as to what you decided to do? I stopped testing for Nitrates years ago because it was always 0. My tank is almost all softies so I never really thought about it. Recently I started adding SPS and had zero success so.... I decided to test again and was shocked. My Nitrates are literally off the chart 100+. What is even more scary is that I have maintained proper levels of everything else and unfortunately I have kept my Phosphates at .03 for over a year by using Lanthanum Chloride and most recently GFO. NOW, I want to carbon dose and from what I can figure out I need to raise my Phosphates which are now hovering at .15 . I NEED HELP! I would love to hear more ideas on how to raise Phosphates without raising nitrates.

Thanks again to everyone that contribute to these forums, you guys are my hero's

7. Mike220

Mike220 Active Member

I had same problem
    Follow up

8. Dramad1

Dramad1 Active Member

Reviving an old thread....

How can I raise my phosphates levels?

Brightwells Neophos?
    Seachem flourish?
    Currently undetectable 0.00ppm p04 hanna ulr
    And N03 is @ 4.00ppm redsea pro

I'm noticing a large bacterial bloom possibly and or the beginning signs of dinos.
    Water is super cloudy, small bubbles appearing on rocks and sand. Reduces at night.

Local reefer let me borrow his uv sterilizer and advised I try and raise my p04 levels.
    What product other than feeding heavy can I use? System is a total of 30g
    Salinity 1.025 hanna
    Temp 77.8f hanna/apex
    Alk 8.2 hanna
    Ca 422 hanna
    Mag 1320 elos
    N03 4.00 redsea pro
    P04 0.00 hanna ulr

Zoas, Acans and 2 hammers I Tank, 2 clowns and a yellow banded shrimp, multiple hermits, 2 snails.
    Ideas, thoughts would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

9. DirtMcGurt

DirtMcGurt Active Member

I've used Brightwell's Neophos successfully but I ran out before I could get my PO4 to stabilize. If it ever really stabilizes...
    Before, I had zero NO3 and high phosphates which seems to have caused an algae outbreak. After scrubbing all rocks and cleaning the sand, I did a 50% water change to get phosphates down. Then I added Brightwell's Neonitro. It didn't take much, and my tank was gorgeous for about 3 months. Now my NO3 has creeped up well above 20ppm. I tried adding the Neophos but I could never get a reading for PO4. It's almost like if the NO3 is too high, you have to lower them in order to get the Neophos to stick. I'm not sure if I'm right, or if you just wasted 2 mins reading this lol. Some confirmation would be cool on my theory.

10. DirtMcGurt

DirtMcGurt Active Member

Dramad1, how are your corals doing with all this? My imbalanced NO3 and PO4 seems to have ****** off half my corals.

Draft saved Draft deleted