How to integrate pressure based sensors with Apex

Oceanwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I used Reefangel + to control my pumps and my ATO system. Reefangel has a 4 port air pressure based water level sensors. They are very idiot proof since they are just 1/2 inch pvc pipes providing the pressure information. In my case the sensors are in my ATO bottle (3 parallel connected water bottles), return pump sump section, tank to sump and middle sump. Return pump water level sensor starts the ATO activity and stops it when full, ATO water level checks the levels, when it is low it stops the ATO pump to make suction sounds and others sensors give me a sense of security. At one point I was using the tank to sump sensor to control my DC return pump to keep the tank level steady.

In the last earthquake in Bay Area, it seems like waves were over the rim, not only I found water on the floor but I noticed my RA+ is acting funny. I opened it up and found enough salt water around the ICs. I cleaned it up with electronics cleaner but it is still have issues. And I bought an Apex EL to replace it, just because they are my neighbors ( same town), not that it is helpful. :)

I don’t like any of Apex ATO solutions, I liked RA+ air pressure based water level sensors. I would like to be able use my existing sensors. Anyone tried to integrate them? I guess the sensors just give a level information within 0-5v. I am planning to check the output using an oscillator, but anyone tried that?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pressure sensors on the 0-10v inputs on my Hydros X4 to give me water levels in my three storage tanks in the garage. In the beginning I used outputs on my Archon to send signals to my Hydros and outputs on the Hydros to send signals back to the Archon. i had some 12v relays to use for this. Below is a screenshot of inputs in the garage. Also a screen shot of the settings for the DI level sensor. The sensor used on the DI and fresh saltwater tank was a MPX5010GSX. The one on the mix tank was a MXP2010. It required more additional circuitry though. They are temp sensitive so I could not use them for the low level or high level sensors since the tanks are in the garage. In the house at the tank the temp difference might not be as bad. I have a build thread here you can get to by clicking my Build Thread Contributor badge. The information for this starts on page 7.

16B073AF-80CD-4EE1-811F-393BA69DE153.png

3F3BAF75-3BB6-459E-919E-E58ECF3E3CE3.png

OP
OP
Oceanwolf

Oceanwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pressure sensors on the 0-10v inputs on my Hydros X4 to give me water levels in my three storage tanks in the garage. In the beginning I used outputs on my Archon to send signals to my Hydros and outputs on the Hydros to send signals back to the Archon. i had some 12v relays to use for this. Below is a screenshot of inputs in the garage. Also a screen shot of the settings for the DI level sensor. The sensor used on the DI and fresh saltwater tank was a MPX5010GSX. The one on the mix tank was a MXP2010. It required more additional circuitry though. They are temp sensitive so I could not use them for the low level or high level sensors since the tanks are in the garage. In the house at the tank the temp difference might not be as bad. I have a build thread here you can get to by clicking my Build Thread Contributor badge. The information for this starts on page 7.

16B073AF-80CD-4EE1-811F-393BA69DE153.png

3F3BAF75-3BB6-459E-919E-E58ECF3E3CE3.png
This looks cool. It look s like I should have checked if APEX has input ports before I bought it. It seems it is possible only after buying an expansion.
I may have to consider Apex purchase, maybe back to Reefangel or go to Hydros

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks cool. It look s like I should have checked if APEX has input ports before I bought it. It seems it is possible only after buying an expansion.
I may have to consider Apex purchase, maybe back to Reefangel or go to Hydros
The Hydros expands by getting another controller and starting a collective and as you expand you can add another controller of your choice. You just have to connect them together with command buss cables and use terminators two per collective. I have 9 controllers is a collective. I currently have 5 of them in the garage and 4 of them at the tank. Below are the controllers I have in my collective I named Aquarium Control. The information displayed with each controller depends on the type of controller. The ones with negative buss current are power givers and the ones with positive buss current or power users. Right now the power givers are the Wave Engines and the XP8's. You can use the others without a Wave Engine or Xp's with a power pack. Those will come in a starter pack with the controller. They would have to be removed once you add either a Wave Engine or XP8 unless you have a data only command buss cable between them. I do have a data only cable between the tank and the garage since it is over 16ft. In fact it is more like 35ft. I did start out with a X4 starter pack and added to it as I switched over more things from my Archon to the Hydros. Currently the Wave Engine v2 and X4 have the 4 0-10v inputs. Both of those also have 4 0-10v outputs also. It is a relative new controller system so they have been adding new controllers frequently. They have announced three new ones for next year. One is the XD which will have three drive ports which are 12v outputs that can run small 12v pumps, solenoids and 12 lights. The next one is called the Kraken and has 4 drive ports and 8 force ports which are 24v outputs. The 24v outputs are mainly for replacing 24v power packs including Wave Engine power packs. The third is the X10 which has 4 precision dosing pumps, a pH port, a salinity port, 2 drive ports, 4 sense ports. All controller that are out now have a IP65 rating except for the XP8's and that is because of the AC outlets that are on it. The XP8 still uses the same type of case as the others though.

EB90B46A-72AC-4B58-9BF3-392F0B454ADB.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back