How to keep a fuge

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a small fuge in my biocube last week. I have a GHA problem and hoping this will grow instead. Tips? Things to watch out for?

I’m lighting it from 10pm to 8 am. Mostly chaeto in it but a little bit of other macros. Came with some pods and a micro brittle star. A little bit of red bubble algae but I think I picked all of that out.

Do I just leave it be and hope it grows? Should I periodically pull it up to examine it closer? How often do you typically need to harvest it?

B24F298B-3E45-4A92-A6AE-F079B8C4F0E3.jpeg

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone is a little different. Me personally, I run my lights for 13 hours. I wait until the compartment is packed wall to wall with cheato, then I pull out the top 25% of it. Has been working well for me for the past couple of years. Besides harvest time, I don't touch it.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everyone is a little different. Me personally, I run my lights for 13 hours. I wait until the compartment is packed wall to wall with cheato, then I pull out the top 25% of it. Has been working well for me for the past couple of years. Besides harvest time, I don't touch it.
How often do you harvest?

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you harvest?

Well it's usually once a week.. But it depends on how fast its growing. I wait until the refugium is packed with it. If i'm not feeding as much, the growth slows down and i'll end up harvesting once every two weeks. Just keep a eye on it and you'll learn the growth rate and when to pull some out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back