How to kill zoanthids

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
2,997
Location
Wichita, KS
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help. Zoanthids are taking over my mixed reef. The tank is too crowded with breakable corals to use bone cutters. Is there a way to slowly kill them off? Maybe Aiptasia X?
 
Help. Zoanthids are taking over my mixed reef. The tank is too crowded with breakable corals to use bone cutters. Is there a way to slowly kill them off? Maybe Aiptasia X?
The main formula I use is this:

*Really try* to grow them in a tank with lots of other successful corals. They'll die almost in a heartbeat.

BUT...

Do NOT give up on them while they're dying or they'll make a huge comeback.

🙄

Zoa's have more personality than any other coral IMO. (That's not a great thing. LOL)
 
You could always add sundial snails... they eat zoas. They are considered a pest though.
 
I just inject them and cover them with kalk paste. Do only small batches at a time so if they let off toxins it in controlled amounts.

I have a ton of SPS and ZOAs. I keep the zoas on the rocks on the bottom so as not too have issues. However, some times one grows faster than another and over takes it, or thhey just grow too much and reach rocks I don't want. Those get nuked and I've never had an issue.

Also, you can get a hose and stick a rigid piece of PVC pipe cut into a sharp end. Siphon as you scrape them off the rocks, then nuke whats left. Lastly, I've had them die back on their own from being overshaded by some stags of other sps.

They do need light, so I would guess you could just cover them, up with something in some areas.
 
I just inject them and cover them with kalk paste. Do only small batches at a time so if they let off toxins it in controlled amounts.

I have a ton of SPS and ZOAs. I keep the zoas on the rocks on the bottom so as not too have issues. However, some times one grows faster than another and over takes it, or thhey just grow too much and reach rocks I don't want. Those get nuked and I've never had an issue.

Also, you can get a hose and stick a rigid piece of PVC pipe cut into a sharp end. Siphon as you scrape them off the rocks, then nuke whats left. Lastly, I've had them die back on their own from being overshaded by some stags of other sps.

They do need light, so I would guess you could just cover them, up with something in some areas.
This is probably the responsible way to do it :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new