How to kill zoas in tank?

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake270 is right. Aiptasia x works! I used it to kill invasive yellow polyps and gsp.

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... So, do I inject it in the zoa's body or just mouth?
During the day when they are open inject it right in there mouth with all flow off. Let it sit for a few minutes and you will never see those zoas again.

Jake270

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude after seeing the picture yeah I’d be hard pressed inject those suckers. I’d be trying my hardest to frag off or trade in if you really want them gone. Those are pretty nice. But yeah the above advice is what you’d have to do to kill em off just like you would aptasia.

Jake270

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe kill a section, plant a nice aggressive sps and see what happens. Nice rastas in that front rock

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would put on gloves and slowly rip the mat of zoas off with fingers, SLOWLY so they all stay connected, then sell/trade it away. use bone cutters to remove stragglers after that

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the verdict on the zoa rock?

Planning on picking up some aiptasia x during the weekend and see what it can do.

I personally would put on gloves and slowly rip the mat of zoas off with fingers, SLOWLY so they all stay connected, then sell/trade it away. use bone cutters to remove stragglers after that

That’s what I want to do, but I have a $900 dollar fish in this tank and reading about all these palytoxin, don’t want to risk it.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on picking up some aiptasia x during the weekend and see what it can do.

That’s what I want to do, but I have a $900 dollar fish in this tank and reading about all these palytoxin, don’t want to risk it.
I dont think its enough palytoxin to do that (at least looking at the type of zoa that you have, if it was green/brown button palythoa I would think twice about doing that) I do it all the time in my tanks with zoas, but wouldnt do it with palys

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I started ripping some off today with a tweezer, they were oozing some brown stuff.

7D169323-7B02-4A12-A28B-B9C06D41CDA7.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine always do that, but as long as its not a lot shouldnt be an issue (never had any problems)

I got 1/3 out and threw in some fresh carbon. My millepora has responded with some crazy PE!

Last edited:

urban coral farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling with the same problem I put a cheap drag of no name green palys in my tank when first started and boy oh boy what a mistake.

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling with the same problem I put a cheap drag of no name green palys in my tank when first started and boy oh boy what a mistake.

I pulled 50% out already. Planning on finishing off the rest within the week.

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was going to be my next question..
What size system.
I'm concerned for my tank if I do this since I have a 25 gallon custom AIO. Not a lot of water volume for error.

I have a Red Sea 350. For you, I think a water change and fresh carbon after would be fine.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back