How to know if coral should be moved (torch coral)

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a torch precisely one month ago.
One head didn't open much, and I though a bigger torch might have been annoying it, so I moved it.
It doesn't seem to open that much in general, and it could be the higher flow or a little more light, or something else.
The question is if I should move it again? It's been in this spot for about 2 weeks.

Would it be 'safe' to move it to a lower flow/light area to see if it will open up a bit more?
20210629_174848.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking if you should move it without really giving us any information won't work.
How much flow is it getting now? Video?
How much light is it getting now? PAR reading?
How old is the tank?
How long has it been in the tank?
Tank parameters (and don't just say that they "good")

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking if you should move it without really giving us any information won't work.
How much flow is it getting now? Video?
How much light is it getting now? PAR reading?
How old is the tank?
How long has it been in the tank?
Tank parameters (and don't just say that they "good")
I understand the reply, but simply wondering if 2 weeks in a new spot is enough time before relocating it.
I'm unsure why parameters are important here. Should I move it if Ca. is above 420, but not if Mg. is below 1400?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the reply, but simply wondering if 2 weeks in a new spot is enough time before relocating it.
I'm unsure why parameters are important here. Should I move it if Ca. is above 420, but not if Mg. is below 1400?
Parameters are important because the issue may not be location at all.

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age of a tank does make a huge difference too, because less established tanks tend to be harder for stony base corals to flourish. I have a torch in a 4-5 month tank and it looks just like yours but I was also told that if I see it open up even for a short while and enjoys the flow but shrivel up like the pictures here for most of the day otherwise to just keep direct flow off it and let it adjust. Because my tank parameters aren't bad nor is the flow but the tank is still young so the coral is trying to get a feel.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just place them and forget it. If your params are off, disease, flatworms, flow, etc... many variables come into play. I will get one head that shrinks up on the same torch and the
20210629_105720.jpg
20210629_105720.jpg other heads are big, well the shrunk up one is pooping then goes back to normal. As long as your water is pristine they will be fine, just place them and forget. Mine are all on the sand as I have a mixed reef and the top gets lots of flow for the acros.
20210629_105720.jpg
20210629_105655.jpg
20210629_105727.jpg

OneOtter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah see I agree with that for a larger tank, the torch I was talking about is in a 15 gallon nano reef I have. But yeah torches will adapt really well if your parameters are good and don't have direct flow on them.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main question is, how you make the call for a relocation or give it time to adjust.
If it's adjusting than moving it would not be wise, but if it gets to much light, flow etc. then it should be moved as soon as possible.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main question is, how you make the call for a relocation or give it time to adjust.
If it's adjusting than moving it would not be wise, but if it gets to much light, flow etc. then it should be moved as soon as possible.
If I get a new coral shipped to me, it looks "normal" within a few hours of being placed in my tank. Seriously, that's how I know.

Now, if it changes over time, such as bleaching or browning, then I'll know there's an issue. This doesn't really happen to me since my tank is stable and I know the flow and lighting throughout my tank.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get a new coral shipped to me, it looks "normal" within a few hours of being placed in my tank. Seriously, that's how I know.

Now, if it changes over time, such as bleaching or browning, then I'll know there's an issue. This doesn't really happen to me since my tank is stable and I know the flow and lighting throughout my tank.
Thanks for the info, although I'm not sure it helps me much.
I made a short video, including the torch next to it to better jugde the flow.
In my own opinion, the flow is quite low:

I am unsure if it is starting to bleach a bit, so I think I'll move it down a bit and see what happens.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back