How to know if your clown fish are ready to lay eggs?

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of two clowns believe they are a mated pair and are well over 3 years old I believe maybe even older. Recently in my tank they have been cleaning this one spot of a vehicle flat peice of rock right under a over hang and even see them hovering their tail fins over it. Both will take turns. Idk if they are just hosting that rock or practicing for egg laying . This happens once before then stopped for 2 weeks and now it's happened again. I keep checking for eggs and have yet to see any. Let alone don't know how to tell if a clown fish is carrying eggs or not. But I know for sure my clown is a Male and female pair. Can any one tell me what's going on? Also if they do have eggs will they even survive?

Glassfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what they're doing but I k ow you have to remove the fry as soon as they hatch from the eggs so they aren't eaten

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how can you remove the fry? I'm not against setting up my 10 gallon again to raise them but how would one remove them? Or even feed them? I have one fish that may eat them and it's an orchid dotty back.

Glassfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how can you remove the fry? I'm not against setting up my 10 gallon again to raise them but how would one remove them? Or even feed them? I have one fish that may eat them and it's an orchid dotty back.
Everything that can is going to eat them including the clowns themselves .You need to either scoop them out with a fine net like a brine shrimp net or remove the eggs just before they hatch to a separate tank . I'm sure there's lots of posts on here on how to feed and raise them :)

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything that can is going to eat them including the clowns themselves .You need to either scoop them out with a fine net like a brine shrimp net or remove the eggs just before they hatch to a separate tank . I'm sure there's lots of posts on here on how to feed and raise them :)
What about a Turkey baster? Would that work or to rough?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back