Clownfish Pair Question

SeaHorseQueen

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 18, 2022
Messages
442
Reaction score
192
Location
Fort Wayne
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my pair of clownfish just started turning dark at the same time. Does this mean I should expect possible mating soon? I read online it means the female is maturing and the male will match the female if they’re a pair. What kind of behavior should I expect to see as they start their rituals? Tonight, they’re acting super weird like they were hovering and wiggling over eggs in the GHA they decided to host in. I did check and there’s no eggs. Are we close?
 
What kind of clownfish do you have?
 
What kind of clownfish do you have?
Female is a common. I’m not exactly sure which kind he is. The video isn’t their current shade.
 
When my mature pair is getting ready to lay a batch, first I'll see the male picking at the rock continuously. Sometimes the female helps. Usually she sits in the anemone and supervises. Then she will get super mean. This is the only time she attacks my hand. Then the male will disappear. Once the eggs are laid, if they aren't in a spot I can see, I won't see the male again until they hatch. I might see his head poke out at feeding time but he relies on the female to bring him food (she doesn't.) These guys are coming up on 8 years and have laid 4-5 times a year for the past 5; when they're first maturing you'll see a lot of the convulsion dance out of the male. These guys never do that anymore.

The darkening is also associated with hosting in coral.
 
My female maroon went dark very quickly, I believe when she changed and her growth really accelerated. My male that I've had for 4 years now has not gotten darker to match
clonwa.png
.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new