Clownfish Pair Question

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my pair of clownfish just started turning dark at the same time. Does this mean I should expect possible mating soon? I read online it means the female is maturing and the male will match the female if they’re a pair. What kind of behavior should I expect to see as they start their rituals? Tonight, they’re acting super weird like they were hovering and wiggling over eggs in the GHA they decided to host in. I did check and there’s no eggs. Are we close?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of clownfish do you have?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my mature pair is getting ready to lay a batch, first I'll see the male picking at the rock continuously. Sometimes the female helps. Usually she sits in the anemone and supervises. Then she will get super mean. This is the only time she attacks my hand. Then the male will disappear. Once the eggs are laid, if they aren't in a spot I can see, I won't see the male again until they hatch. I might see his head poke out at feeding time but he relies on the female to bring him food (she doesn't.) These guys are coming up on 8 years and have laid 4-5 times a year for the past 5; when they're first maturing you'll see a lot of the convulsion dance out of the male. These guys never do that anymore.

The darkening is also associated with hosting in coral.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female maroon went dark very quickly, I believe when she changed and her growth really accelerated. My male that I've had for 4 years now has not gotten darker to match
clonwa.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back