How to level Reefer 525XL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

*HOVA*

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Reefer 525XL and after assembling the stand it’s not sitting level on my floor.

How are you suppose to level these stands? I have hardwood floors and the stand has all these little round feet supporting it.

It’s not off a ton but being a rimless tank where the waterline will be clearly visible I was hoping to get it as level as possible.

cb5b7c8f014a3f9110f630c609beecc4.jpg

268473fb69d10d5bab601ff5f8fac743.jpg

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use composite shims from the hardware store. Level the stand with the tank on it, then check for level again when you add water.

OP
OP
H

*HOVA*

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So leave the feet on? Shim each foot individually? The tank will be against the wall so no way to re-shim after it’s filled...

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the feet as they will be pressure points. Then shim the stand every 8-12 inches and at the corners. Will spread the load much better. How do you plan to protect your floors from spills?

OP
OP
H

*HOVA*

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A slight spill is a reason I don’t want to take the feet off. I may just get the tank on the stand first and see how it looks with the extra weight before making and adjustments.

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up my 750XXL, I left out the flooring out of the cabinet and filled the tank 3/4 of the way after placing it on the stand. This adds needed weight to get it leveled properly and with the flooring out, you have access to the leveling feet. I started with all of the feet screwed in all the way and adjusted each one as I went along. Changing one can cause others to lose contact with the floor so you really have to take your time with it and be patient. Once done, put the floors in the stand and put the sump in, add plumbing and fill the rest of the way.

HTH

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 525xl doesn't have leveling feet you can rotate to extend. It's just these little nubbins.

I've heard of using composite shims. Fortunately my 525 was level.

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 525xl doesn't have leveling feet you can rotate to extend. It's just these little nubbins.

I've heard of using composite shims. Fortunately my 525 was level.

In that case, I would do as I have outlined above and use shims as you go along instead of adjusting the feet. Assuming that you can build the stand without the floor in it like I did mine.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came with shims. At least i think theyre shims. My stand was level so i did not use them.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, the dark gray strips. I couldnt decide if they were for packing or for shims, but thinking it through, they dont have any angle or taper, so I guess theyre not shims.

OP
OP
H

*HOVA*

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having my neighbor come over I reached out to Red Sea after he pointed something out to me. There is light showing in spots between the tank and the foam. He thinks that maybe the foam helps to somewhat self level the tank. Waiting on a response back from them because no other options will look good since I have hard wood floors. Shims are going to be very noticeable no matter how I do it. Will be interesting to hear their reply!

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having my neighbor come over I reached out to Red Sea after he pointed something out to me. There is light showing in spots between the tank and the foam. He thinks that maybe the foam helps to somewhat self level the tank. Waiting on a response back from them because no other options will look good since I have hard wood floors. Shims are going to be very noticeable no matter how I do it. Will be interesting to hear their reply!
The shims sould not be visible. Install them with just a little glue then cut them off even with the outside of the stand. If necessary cover with a trim or base board.

bluesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up my 750XXL, I left out the flooring out of the cabinet and filled the tank 3/4 of the way after placing it on the stand. This adds needed weight to get it leveled properly and with the flooring out, you have access to the leveling feet. I started with all of the feet screwed in all the way and adjusted each one as I went along. Changing one can cause others to lose contact with the floor so you really have to take your time with it and be patient. Once done, put the floors in the stand and put the sump in, add plumbing and fill the rest of the way.

HTH

I was looking through how to level my 525 and found this. So helpful. Do you work on the 4 corners first?

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use composite shims from the hardware store. Level the stand with the tank on it, then check for level again when you add water.
old post but I need some advice I have a reefer 250 do I just use composite shims under each of the feet, as that what I have done to get it dead level. I'm on a 3rd floor of a condo I really don't want to flood the people below me lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back