How to light up a wide tank?

reefslugs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a new Planet Aquarium 60x 30x 25. I do not have a canopy. In my lighting collection I have the ATI 48'' 8x54w Dimmable SunPower. I have the Reef Breeders Photon 50-V2 Pro. I have four Red Sea 90's and I have three Radion XR30 G5 blues. Either light set I decide to go with will not fully light up a 30 inch wide tank.

I have looked at adding the Aquatic Life's T5 lighting fixture, but it is only 18.25"W. So that will only add more lighting to the center of the tank. Which I do not need. I also looked at the Reef Brite’s X Series LED Add-On Kits, but same thing. They are 12.27"W.

So the only thing I can come up with to cover a 30'' wide tank is to buy the RedSea 160s or add two Reef Brite's XHO series light strips. But I can't figure out how to incorporate them with my other lights when they are hanging from the ceiling and not in a canopy.

You guys know of any good ideas or thoughts on what would be best in my situation?

JSchwarz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic life sells extensions to make their fixtures wider. You can also put rectangular lights like xr30s sideways so the spread reaches front to back.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't really want to buy too much more you can just do 1 row red sea, 1 row Radions.
Not sure how the color blending between the 2 work but the red seas are mostly blue..80w blue/10 w white.
Total wattage 4 x 90
3 xr30 g5's 215max each.
A TON of light w/ the 7 together.

Actually the 3 Radions turned sideways cover it fairly well afaict.

Are.you limiting yourself to tank mounted?
If so it does become more difficult.
Also eliminates the t5.

Photon v4 has tank mounts but a bit undersized.
Adding 2 reef bars would shore it up but ends may be a bit err dull

A hybrid and the 3 Radions hung high enough will cover fine.

200gal.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back