How to lower nitrates?

Sicklid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides water changes, what else can i do to lower nitrates?
I did somes test today morning and the color of the sample is between 10 and 15ppm.
Thanks for helping out!!!

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing.. Someone else will jump in and I need a refresher course. Mine are climbing up again. Red Sea Sells a product that does it as well.
[h=1]Red Sea NO3:pO4-X Nitrate & Phosphate[/h]

AquaFX

AquaFX
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually started carbon dosing, and after doing some more research it may not be the best idea. From what I found out carbon dosing apparently messes with the natural algae growing on the live rocks and causes an imbalance however it seems like that's all 50/50 so.. personally if your nitrates are that high, just go with a water change and make it a decent one that's the real answer. For long term you may want to look into plant life that lives off nitrates to help like Mangroves, also do you have bio balls? Ive found that once your tank is established if you do have bio balls remove them. the reef should be doing what they were initially used for at this point. From my understanding the bio balls can cause nitrates to come back time and time again.. Hope I helped.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a product by Dr. G's which is a nitrate adsorbant medium you put in your sump. It was highly recommended to me so I'm trying it out.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your live rock is a highly efficient nitrate reducer if used properly. The rock can't be logged with detritus. Hand in hand with that, the rock needs to have excellent circulation through it.

How are your phosphates and do you have much green algae growth?

-Matt

OP
OP
Sicklid

Sicklid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcarroll my po4<5
And this is how my live rocks look like:
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1380809399.458091.jpg

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A person must be very careful using sulfur to lower nitrates. The KZ denitrator would be safer to use than the sulfur filter because it has a built it method of raising the very low pH water coming out of the reactor. A flow rate that is off or a lack of nitrates to feed the reactor can cause the existing bacteria in the reactor to crash, with disastrous results to your tank.

I'm surprised natural ways to reduce nitrates is not mentioned; lots of live rock, a deep sand bed, a remote deep sand bed.

A remote deep sand bed, (that is kept in the dark so it doesn't require sand bed fauna), that has a slow flow of water over it can be very effective at reducing nitrates. It also has the added benefits of raising your pH and keeping your calcium and alkalinity stable.

There are a lot of tanks out there that would benefit greatly by simply adding more live rock and sand.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A person must be very careful using sulfur to lower nitrates. The KZ denitrator would be safer to use than the sulfur filter because it has a built it method of raising the very low pH water coming out of the reactor. A flow rate that is off or a lack of nitrates to feed the reactor can cause the existing bacteria in the reactor to crash, with disastrous results to your tank.

I'm surprised natural ways to reduce nitrates is not mentioned; lots of live rock, a deep sand bed, a remote deep sand bed.

A remote deep sand bed, (that is kept in the dark so it doesn't require sand bed fauna), that has a slow flow of water over it can be very effective at reducing nitrates. It also has the added benefits of raising your pH and keeping your calcium and alkalinity stable.

There are a lot of tanks out there that would benefit greatly by simply adding more live rock and sand.

Korallin Sulfur-Based Biodenitrator
Perfectly safe.

Last edited:

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always give bio pellets a try. But I find the best way is to just keep on top of water changes. Once you get them under control, stay on a normal water change routine. Bio pellets work, but I like the idea of totally exporting the waste and adding fresh water.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If flow is strong, then the tank looks like it's in the land of "no problems" - I might question the test kit.

PO4 should be under 0.05 ppm...is that what you meant by "<5"?

Anyway, judging from the pic I might question the test kit. Are things worse in the tank than this pic would suggest?

-Matt

OP
OP
Sicklid

Sicklid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcarroll I mean less than .05 ppm, but you right about my po4 reading, I have the cheap API test kit. I have been doing water changes and now my nitrates reading shows 5ppm. Thanks for all comments guys!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back