How to main constant PH?

ssagar89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a 10 gallon reef tank. Tank has been doing great but recently ph started to drop very fast. So LFS guy told me to add Brightwell ph+ in order to raise them. So I raised the level from 7.8 to 8.2 over 2 weeks and corals seemed to be happier. But recently again the ph dropped as I had stopped adding the liquid. What should I do to keep ph stable in my tank?
Alkanity : 10.5dkh
Is there a way where I can keep up with the ph level? I live near a lagoon and there is contact airflow in my house but no luck with that either.
Is kalkwasser the best option or calcium cubes ?

Thanks for you help!

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Brightwell stuff is just a high ph Alkalinity supplement. If you keep dosing it, you're going to raise your Alk.

If you're sure the CO2 in your house is low from good air exchange, you still have to make sure that you're aerating your tank well to get the CO2 out... ie a skimmer to get the gas exchange going.

I also always say double check your pH measurements with another instrument... especially given your high Alkalinity to make sure that measurement is accurate.

OP
OP
S

ssagar89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried testing with multiple kits. It is low. I don’t have enough space for a skimmer in my tank. What should I do in this situation?

OP
OP
S

ssagar89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I maintain the right levels ? For ph calc and alk? My saltwater mix alkinity is 10.6

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing for PH usually brings other problems (high alk , cal) ect.. it’s better to find out why it is low and come up with a solution ( more flow breaking surface for oxygen exchange, opening window near tank, adding refgium)

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, well first off.. 7.8 pH isn't a disaster. Lots of people have beautiful tanks at that pH. You might get slower growth and corals may take longer to acclimate, but it's certainly doable.

Second, what are you using for flow? First make sure the surface tension is being broken by pointing outlets towards the surface a bit till you see lots of ripples.

And finally, are we talking a softie tank, or SPS, Acros etc? Basically depending on your Alkalinity and Calcium usage, are you doing water changes to keep up the levels, or are you dosing? If you're dosing you can use something like one of @Randy Holmes-Farley 2 parts to keep the levels in check and the pH up ...basically a cheaper and balanced Brightwell, but also doing it while only keeping Alkalinity stable rather than checking the pH.

I ran a 10 gallon for my first year reefing, and I can tell you its a lot harder than my 100gallon. lol.

OP
OP
S

ssagar89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing for PH usually brings other problems (high alk , cal) ect.. it’s better to find out why it is low and come up with a solution ( more flow breaking surface for oxygen exchange, opening window near tank, adding refgium)
Definitely the flow is not breaking the surface. I have a spin stream nozzle and it’s not that affective

OP
OP
S

ssagar89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, well first off.. 7.8 pH isn't a disaster. Lots of people have beautiful tanks at that pH. You might get slower growth and corals may take longer to acclimate, but it's certainly doable.

Second, what are you using for flow? First make sure the surface tension is being broken by pointing outlets towards the surface a bit till you see lots of ripples.

And finally, are we talking a softie tank, or SPS, Acros etc? Basically depending on your Alkalinity and Calcium usage, are you doing water changes to keep up the levels, or are you dosing? If you're dosing you can use something like one of @Randy Holmes-Farley 2 parts to keep the levels in check and the pH up ...basically a cheaper and balanced Brightwell, but also doing it while only keeping Alkalinity stable rather than checking the pH.

I ran a 10 gallon for my first year reefing, and I can tell you its a lot harder than my 100gallon. lol.
I am using a spin stream nozzle and it’s not having enough surface agitation. So probably that might be it. I have to break surface as much as I can I. Order to do oxygen exchange

OP
OP
S

ssagar89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LPS and softies tank

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely the flow is not breaking the surface. I have a spin stream nozzle and it’s not that affective

First thing make sure that surface tension is broken. As @dvgyfresh said a refugium can also help especially if you notice the pH lowest before the lights come on and highest before they go off. (The algae will take up the excess co2 at night)

OP
OP
S

ssagar89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing make sure that surface tension is broken. As @dvgyfresh said a refugium can also help especially if you notice the pH lowest before the lights come on and highest before they go off. (The algae will take up the excess co2 at night)
Sure I try to figure it out

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one wave maker who’s only purpose is break surface tension lool my ph is pretty consistently 8.3-8.4

Attachments

• IMG_2357.MOV
    12.3 MB
OP
OP
S

ssagar89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discuss pH and how to raise it here:

pH And The Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefedition.com/ph-and-the-reef-aquarium/
Guys the ph is stable now. Been checking it every day twice it’s gone up to 8.3 constant.
Changes I did
1. Opened my windows ( I live on a lagoon so it’s very windy, utilized that air to air out my house )
2. Let the water fall off from the return chamber in a bit aggressive manner ( kind of surface agitation and also creating air bubbles )
Corals have been doing great since.
thanks everyone

image.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back