How to make fat fish fatter

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cute little trio, two clownfish and one yellowtail damsel. They share the 75g quite well, and I've even spotted them swimming together a few times. I wouldn't dare to say they're 'friends' but I have seen 0 aggression from them. I am not sure why yellowtail's get such a bad reputation :(

I am feeding them about 20 pellets 2x daily. Each fish eats probably 3-4 pellets each feeding, so about 8 pellets a day. The yellowtail actually will pick up food off the sandbed, an intriguing member to my CUC.

What type of food can I gave them to provide a balanced diet, even treat them with the fish version of a dog cookie? I don't really want to keep anything alive, and will at some point introduce copepods to the tank so mandarin fish can inhabit the tank, but for the time being, what is a nutritious option for clownfish and damselfish?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daphnia, mysis, brine shrimp and other frozen foods would give them some variation!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cute little trio, two clownfish and one yellowtail damsel. They share the 75g quite well, and I've even spotted them swimming together a few times. I wouldn't dare to say they're 'friends' but I have seen 0 aggression from them. I am not sure why yellowtail's get such a bad reputation :(

I am feeding them about 20 pellets 2x daily. Each fish eats probably 3-4 pellets each feeding, so about 8 pellets a day. The yellowtail actually will pick up food off the sandbed, an intriguing member to my CUC.

What type of food can I gave them to provide a balanced diet, even treat them with the fish version of a dog cookie? I don't really want to keep anything alive, and will at some point introduce copepods to the tank so mandarin fish can inhabit the tank, but for the time being, what is a nutritious option for clownfish and damselfish?
Pellets are worse than frozen IMO

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if you would follow my feeding regimen i use for all my fish to get the best color, growth, and health put of my fish but, what i do is i get 4 cubes of bryn and mysis shrimp put them in a little tuberware bowl. Then i put 6 capfuls of seachem vitality and seachem Garlic guard. Let the shrimp soak until the cubes fall apart that way you know that they get the vitamins and garlic. Then i get my Hikarri Carnivore pellets, Hikarri Herbivore pellets, and Hikarri seaweed extreme pellets and throw all them in and mix in the shrimp soup and add enough pellets to make it pasty. Then i add a couple more caps of vitality and garlic guard. Then i get rods seaweed and mix a sheet of red, green, and a little purple seaweed in by ripping them up into many little peices and mix it in. Then i add a couple more capfulls of vitality and garlic guard because all the pellet food soaks it up by time your done ripping up the seaweed which is what you want because it means every thing will have vitamins, amino acids, and garlic. Then i take a sandwich baggie and pour about a half a container of pe flakes into the bag. I then let the air out of the bag and close the bag and grind the flakes into kinda like a powder. Then i add that to my mix and throw two more caps of garlic guard and vitality and stir until its all mixed in. Then i get about 6 sandwich bags and fill them with my mixed food and freeze them. I generally feed the fish the extra food thats in the container after im done putting it into bags and they love the food. Then i just snap the size piece of food off that i would feed to the fish for every feeding and they will go crazy for it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS Reef Frenzy and LRS Fertility Frenzy are both good options- clownfish breed well on those two (they even bred pacific blue tangs on the Fertility Frenzy), and you can look through the foods they use in the blend (it’s frozen and fairly pricy, but it’s high quality stuff).

For more “snacky” or treat-like foods, I’d generally recommend live, but you could do preserved brine shrimp and/or mysis shrimp like has been suggested above, or you could offer things like white worms and black worms (I’ve heard of people using these sort of as protein & fat supplements for clownfish breeding to get better egg laying - the better the parents’ diet, the healthier the eggs). I don’t know if they offer the worms frozen, but you could freeze them when you get them and offer them that way. As long as you use them pretty quickly they shouldn’t lose too much nutritional value.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if you would follow my feeding regimen i use for all my fish to get the best color, growth, and health put of my fish but, what i do is i get 4 cubes of bryn and mysis shrimp put them in a little tuberware bowl. Then i put 6 capfuls of seachem vitality and seachem Garlic guard. Let the shrimp soak until the cubes fall apart that way you know that they get the vitamins and garlic. Then i get my Hikarri Carnivore pellets, Hikarri Herbivore pellets, and Hikarri seaweed extreme pellets and throw all them in and mix in the shrimp soup and add enough pellets to make it pasty. Then i add a couple more caps of vitality and garlic guard. Then i get rods seaweed and mix a sheet of red, green, and a little purple seaweed in by ripping them up into many little peices and mix it in. Then i add a couple more capfulls of vitality and garlic guard because all the pellet food soaks it up by time your done ripping up the seaweed which is what you want because it means every thing will have vitamins, amino acids, and garlic. Then i take a sandwich baggie and pour about a half a container of pe flakes into the bag. I then let the air out of the bag and close the bag and grind the flakes into kinda like a powder. Then i add that to my mix and throw two more caps of garlic guard and vitality and stir until its all mixed in. Then i get about 6 sandwich bags and fill them with my mixed food and freeze them. I generally feed the fish the extra food thats in the container after im done putting it into bags and they love the food. Then i just snap the size piece of food off that i would feed to the fish for every feeding and they will go crazy for it.
Just wanted to update you - following this to a T. I have frozen sandwich bags ready to roll, and my fish do indeed love this. Thank you for sharing and taking the time to explain this to me. You deserve a raise!

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Damsels I don't know why they have such bad reputation I have a Domino named Domino and I feed him Sera Treat Mix once on Monday once on Thursday
Confused Bugs Bunny GIF by Looney Tunes

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not like to use pellets. They fall in the bottom and get wasted. Frozen food is much better. They love it and it is closer to what they eat in the wild. Buy a variety of them. You will soon see which ones are their favorite.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheaper option is diy seafood mix but it’s messy and takes a little work. I blend everything I can get together including nori flatten it in a ziplock break off a chunk and let it thaw out in a cup of tank water mix and feed. Fish go crazy for it.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get away from the pellets and feed them a variety of different frozen foods for healthy, colorful fish. I feed them a variety of Hikari, and human grade shrimp for the dragon eel.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say - my fish love this recipe and I am just about done with my first frozen ziploc. My blue eye kole tang has vivid blue eyes and a nice yellow tail, her markings looking brighter every day

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say - my fish love this recipe and I am just about done with my first frozen ziploc. My blue eye kole tang has vivid blue eyes and a nice yellow tail, her markings looking brighter every day
Glad i can help

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update you - following this to a T. I have frozen sandwich bags ready to roll, and my fish do indeed love this. Thank you for sharing and taking the time to explain this to me. You deserve a raise!
Lol no problem

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a bunch of frozen foods. Rods, LRS, mysis, spiruline brine shrimp, what ever you can find and vary them. Best to have a diverse diet

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back