How to make your fish room smell....less like a fish room?

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I’ve accumulated about 1500 gallons of fish tanks in my fish room (basement.) As a result my wife complains that the place smells like a “pet shop.” I’ve got the humidity controlled with an air exchanger, but the distinct beach scent remains. I do my best bagging any waste ie. filter mats/floss. I’m not too excited about using chemical air fresheners or scented candles because of the volatile chemicals contaminating my reef. I have a diy ozone generator, but my significant other detests the smell of ozone. The room is 700 square feet.

What have you done to remove the “stank?”

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When growing certain kinds of plants indoors, the smell can get overwhelming. In that hobby, they use carbon air filters to reduce/eliminate the smell. You can find these filters on hydroponic gardening sites. Not sure how strong your basement smells, but I'm wondering if these carbon air filters would do the trick?

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your whole home smell or just the tank room? I have 200g in a 30 sqft fishroom. HVAC return air vent is enough. It only smells when skimmer is neglected.

OP
OP
C

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef doesn’t smell noticeably itself. I do run an 80 watt uv sterilizer and RoX carbon.

Humidity is 25-30% with the air exchanger.

Only the basement has the “aroma.”

Do essential oils have any reef toxicity?

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your whole home smell or just the tank room? I have 200g in a 30 sqft fishroom. HVAC return air vent is enough. It only smells when skimmer is neglected.
I hope you meant 300 and not 30. I have 200g in 128 sqft and it’s cramped lol.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my water is smelling, it’s usually an organics / nutrient issue. Carbon can help. Keeping the humidity down goes a long way, I keep the room at 50%. Humidity seems to amplify it when I have a smell. If it’s too humid for too long, it gets an mildew smell.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be against using any oils.
Try using an exhaust fan running 24/7.
In my office/sump room we quite frequently smell the ocean but it's not so much we can't deal with it.
My wife never gets close enough to smell the skimmer so all is good.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) FOAM INSULATE the room behind the dry walls to make a complete seal. Pay or DIY-it. I believe you can rent the equipment

2) Mitigate the room using an internal fan inside a PVC pipe that goes OUTSIDE your house. Exactly like when they mitigate a basement high in radon gas.

3) replace door entering the room with an EXTERIOR door that has a weather seal.

4) if 1, 2, 3 fails your wife's inspection.... upgrade to Wife V2.0

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's time to go after the source, instead of just the smell, and thin out the piles of gear and tanks that accumulate over time. I'd bet not all of it is as clean as you wish it were.

I don't mean to say you don't keep a clean home or workspace, but it wouldn't take much more than an old powerhead or unused skimmer sitting on a shelf that hasn't been really well cleaned.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean all your old tanks and bio media. It’s probably something organic that stinks. It might be old rock with orgánics or bio media. Elbow grease/chlorine is your friend.

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's time to go after the source, instead of just the smell, and thin out the piles of gear and tanks that accumulate over time. I'd bet not all of it is as clean as you wish it were.

I don't mean to say you don't keep a clean home or workspace, but it wouldn't take much more than an old powerhead or unused skimmer sitting on a shelf that hasn't been really well cleaned.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 64 48.9%
  • Full frame

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 48 36.6%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back