Is it safe to use bleach near a fish tank?

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dumb question but, is it safe to use bleach near a fish tank? I'm planning on using bleach to clean off some mold/mildew on the wall that's on the opposite of where my tank is. I'm wondering if it's safe to use bleach near the fish tank or will there be any trouble? Will the aroma (smell) cause any trouble?

Also what about perfume or air freshener (probably will never use these two in the room where the fish tank is, but I'm just curious about the do's and don'ts)

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dumb question but, is it safe to use bleach near a fish tank? I'm planning on using bleach to clean off some mold/mildew on the wall that's on the opposite of where my tank is. I'm wondering if it's safe to use bleach near the fish tank or will there be any trouble? Will the aroma (smell) cause any trouble?

Also what about perfume or air freshener (probably will never use these two in the room where the fish tank is, but I'm just curious about the do's and don'ts)
I don’t have any factual basis to back it up but I wouldn’t risk the bleach around the tank if it was me. As far as air fresheners go avoid sprays snd plug ins. Scented candles are your best bet I’ve never had issues with them.

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any factual basis to back it up but I wouldn’t risk the bleach around the tank if it was me. As far as air fresheners go avoid sprays snd plug ins. Scented candles are your best bet I’ve never had issues with them.
Yea I was thinking of maybe candles or one of those incense things if I really needed one

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id be very wary of bleach.alkali chems will often cause as much damage as acids & in a more insidious manner.
I use bleach to recharge my purigen but rinse it extremely thoroughly many times before soaking in prime'd RODI

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is safe to use a diluted mixture of bleach and water to clean your wall near the fish tank. Just rinse well with pure water when you are finished.

I worked at a lfs for 12 years and we used bleach to clean everything, including algae covered skeleton coral that was in the salt tanks as decor. Bleach can be rinsed totally clean as it does not leave any residue if rinse until most of the smell is gone. I soak my powerheads in a bleach water solution, and then rinse them well.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Over the 32 years I have been in my house and always had fish tanks, there has been a small amount of mold build up in the corners ( where air circulation is restricted ) and I've always used diluted bleach with a rag to clean the walls. Even near the tanks. It's not a big deal.
I also have used bleach on dead coral skeletons ( used in fish only tanks for decor) and on old dead rock and equipment

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bleach all my filter socks, mostly leave them in a bucket for a couple months in a heavy bleach water, when I eventually spray them off they sometimes have a hint of bleach smell, but back in the tank they go. It's the tap water I keep away!!!

You will be just fine ;)

Attachments

• 20230401_220447.jpg
    20230401_220447.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 25

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t have any issues as long as the mist isn’t getting in the tank… I’ve never had problems with bleach or any of the 7 scented plug ins around my house like others have mentioned.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I use bleach also.
I even once used it in my overflow to kill hundreds of aptaisia. Of coarse I plugged my pipe at the sump and rinsed extremely well.
I don't recommend it for the faint of heart.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach is basically chlorine. Make sure its straight bleach and doesnt have other "mold" or "sent" specific crap in it. Try not to get it in the tank but if you do prime can keep it safe.

I have many times cleaned rocks and tanks with bleach, rinsed in Ro and then in RO with prime.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%

Back