how to move established tanks??

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, i have started a 20g tank months ago, in lieu of my 65g because, at some point, i want to move from apartment living to a home. with the housing market the way it is, who knows how long that could be, but anywho....when it comes time to move, and if i were to decide to use my 65g (or even for moving my 20g), what is the best route for going about it? my move wont be much more than probably across town, so im not moving far. could literally move and set back up in the matter of an hour or so.

if you were to move a tank, what steps would you go about doing it? with my bad joints, hips, and back, i would probably have to have movers do it for me, and one thing i am mostly worried about is the rock, substrate, etc. ive heard stories of people moving stuff over from one tank to another, and ultimately messing up the cycle, even though that is truly what would be going on here, since i would just be removing stuff to move it elsewhere, and put it back in, but figured i would listen to people that know more than me, or have gone through the experience themselves

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive done this several times especially moving fish store and left 20-25% OF WATER IN TANK WITH FISH AND SET BACK UP RIGHT AWAY WITH BOTH SAVED AND NEW WATER. It preserves the bacteria and almost like doing a massive water change.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive done this several times especially moving fish store and left 20-25% OF WATER IN TANK WITH FISH AND SET BACK UP RIGHT AWAY WITH BOTH SAVED AND NEW WATER. It preserves the bacteria and almost like doing a massive water change.
i would assume then, that if you were to take out the rock, you just put it in a container with water that you removed from the tank, to transport it? i would assume so otherwise you run the risk of breaking the tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i would assume then, that if you were to take out the rock, you just put it in a container with water that you removed from the tank, to transport it? i would assume so otherwise you run the risk of breaking the tank?
NO rock

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
correct remove the rocks and transport rocks in a bucket with saltwater. you dont want anything in the tank that could kill/injure the fish or break the tank while transporting

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back