Who would you pay to move your large tank from your garage into your house?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I'm finally ready to set up the new tank!! But I need to move it from the garage into the house. I was originally planning to move it with some friends, but now I've got a fractured wrist to deal with...

1000009962.jpg

So I'm no help in lifting. Besides I figure a tank that size should probably be moved by someone who's insured. So...where would I find professional tank movers? Who should I be calling?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a hydraulic lift. My front 2 doors open up. No stairs. Had this planned when I built the house. 6 friends, a little motivational goodies, and the tank slid into place on the platform.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also look into MovingHelp.com. As an interior designer, I have found people there to move lots of weird stuff ... gun safes ... and yes, once a 60 gallon cube, half wet, plumbed and sumped. I'm not saying that some companies didn't say no but I made enough calls to find someone who wanted money enough to say yes.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved my 900L from my garage to the final spot in the house, I had additional guys plus myself. We each had 8 inch suction cups. A person on each end and two people on each side. I paid them each $50 when we were done and there was no damage. I couldn't find movers in my area that would do it for any reasonable price.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks folks! I took the advice to call my lfs, and they connected me with someone I'm hoping can help me with the move. Yay!

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm close by and can volunteer if your connection doesn't work out. I may even have some 200 pound suction cups available. haven't seen them in a while so I'll have to dig around the garage.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm close by and can volunteer if your connection doesn't work out. I may even have some 200 pound suction cups available. haven't seen them in a while so I'll have to dig around the garage.
Jay which suction cups do you use? I am looking to rent or buy some. So many out there. My new tank weighs 800 pounds

Thanks for any advice
Shelley

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could suck it up, pull your boot straps up and beg your family to help you like I did! :p

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm finally ready to set up the new tank!! But I need to move it from the garage into the house. I was originally planning to move it with some friends, but now I've got a fractured wrist to deal with...

1000009962.jpg

So I'm no help in lifting. Besides I figure a tank that size should probably be moved by someone who's insured. So...where would I find professional tank movers? Who should I be calling?

If there are any building sites near you ask a bunch of hefty builders who will probably accept payment in beer.

Worked for me.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay which suction cups do you use? I am looking to rent or buy some. So many out there. My new tank weighs 800 pounds

Thanks for any advice
Shelley
I dunno about him, but I use these ones, I have 4 pair here, and they work really well.

Suction Cups

Edit: Although, I got them for 60 per pair a year ago, now they're double the price... so...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

1000009962.jpg

I have always used Movers (labor only) who are insured and have the proper equipment

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for any advice
Shelley

I have a pair of these, and somewhere a set of the fancier 6 or 8 inch diameter cups that have a button on them to apply and release them.
IMG_5131.png

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1000009962.jpg

Moving companies that specialize in piano moves are worth calling.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back