How to photograph florescent corals?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2020
Messages
3,566
Reaction score
6,074
Location
Toronto
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

So I just got a beautiful frag of gsp that I have isolated on a rock island. I tried taking a picture of it but the fluorescence doesn't come through. It was taken under blue light. Do I have to take the pic under white or do I need a filter or calibration of my camera or maybe a different app? I guess my phone's camera isn't as good as my eyes. :-) I had no idea this coral is so fluorescent. I saw something glowing when the polyps started opening and thought I somehow dropped something in my tank. although I had no idea what it could've been. LOL. Then a couple hours later the whole frag was glowing. Why does such a beautiful coral have to be so invasive? :-)

20220117_155914_compress6.jpg
 
Hello fellow saltines,

So I just got a beautiful frag of gsp that I have isolated on a rock island. I tried taking a picture of it but the fluorescence doesn't come through. It was taken under blue light. Do I have to take the pic under white or do I need a filter or calibration of my camera or maybe a different app? I guess my phone's camera isn't as good as my eyes. :) I had no idea this coral is so fluorescent. I saw something glowing when the polyps started opening and thought I somehow dropped something in my tank. although I had no idea what it could've been. LOL. Then a couple hours later the whole frag was glowing. Why does such a beautiful coral have to be so invasive? :)

20220117_155914_compress6.jpg
Use a yellow filter over the lens (the kind in coral viewing glasses). That should give you good color.
 
Use a yellow filter over the lens (the kind in coral viewing glasses). That should give you good color.
Thanks. I just bought an Orphek pack of filters from a fellow member but have no clue how to use them for specific situations like this. I've been trying to get through all the sticky posts about photographing reefs. :-)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new