How to photograph florescent corals?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

So I just got a beautiful frag of gsp that I have isolated on a rock island. I tried taking a picture of it but the fluorescence doesn't come through. It was taken under blue light. Do I have to take the pic under white or do I need a filter or calibration of my camera or maybe a different app? I guess my phone's camera isn't as good as my eyes. :) I had no idea this coral is so fluorescent. I saw something glowing when the polyps started opening and thought I somehow dropped something in my tank. although I had no idea what it could've been. LOL. Then a couple hours later the whole frag was glowing. Why does such a beautiful coral have to be so invasive? :)

20220117_155914_compress6.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

So I just got a beautiful frag of gsp that I have isolated on a rock island. I tried taking a picture of it but the fluorescence doesn't come through. It was taken under blue light. Do I have to take the pic under white or do I need a filter or calibration of my camera or maybe a different app? I guess my phone's camera isn't as good as my eyes. :) I had no idea this coral is so fluorescent. I saw something glowing when the polyps started opening and thought I somehow dropped something in my tank. although I had no idea what it could've been. LOL. Then a couple hours later the whole frag was glowing. Why does such a beautiful coral have to be so invasive? :)

20220117_155914_compress6.jpg
Use a yellow filter over the lens (the kind in coral viewing glasses). That should give you good color.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a yellow filter over the lens (the kind in coral viewing glasses). That should give you good color.
Thanks. I just bought an Orphek pack of filters from a fellow member but have no clue how to use them for specific situations like this. I've been trying to get through all the sticky posts about photographing reefs. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back