How to photograph????

The Gray Phantom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ever I take pictures of my tanks, the phone and camera just don't pickup the color of the corals. Especially when the blue night lights are on. I really want to get a good picture then because all the corals look their best. I have metal halides for the day light and LED for the night. Is there anything I can get for the camera or phone to help with that?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the sticky threads in the photography forum, there's a ton of information in them that will help you figure out a good way to take pictures of your corals :)

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ever I take pictures of my tanks, the phone and camera just don't pickup the color of the corals. Especially when the blue night lights are on. I really want to get a good picture then because all the corals look their best. I have metal halides for the day light and LED for the night. Is there anything I can get for the camera or phone to help with that?

A lot depends on the phone or camera you are using. Newer smart phones do a decent job unless you use very heavy blues on your tank. A point and shoot camera will be about the same. You can buy a yellow or orange gel filter to help remove much of the blue, but you won't necessarily get an accurate color in the photo. I agree with nautical_nathaniel about reading the sticky threads in this forum. They helped me a lot.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the nicer remote controllable LEDs need a 'photography' setting - quickly switch the mode just to take good pics. Unfortunately mine aren't that nice, changing color balance would be a lot of button mashing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back