How to position powerheads for overflow efficiency?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I asked this in a different thread, but I can’t find it.

I have 3 powerheads. How can I best position them (location + pointing direction) for the ULTIMATE particle/detritus removal?

Currently my powerheads are pointing away from the overflow which is just causing the detritus/ junk to recirculate around the DT.

Just to reiterate: I have 3 power heads. One on the left side and two on the right.

image.jpg

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is that 150/180? Quite honestly I don't think those are going to get it pushing enough water, they're just not big enough no matter where they go.

Typically on opposing ends and one or more on the bottom sides going a across the lower back of the tank.. you could put all three facing forward across the back perhaps. You want surface agitation so use your return for that as well.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have an overflow but I have an internal filter that has skimming action at the water surface.

I have 3 powerheads, 2 on each side, and one on the right side, aimed at the surface. I have found that this specific powerhead makes all the difference. While the other two are mimicking a reef type movement, this one agitates the water at the surface, which allows the filter to be a lot more efficient.

My setup is new but so that’s what works best with my 3 power heads.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in a 240 thats 1/2 of the powerheads I use in my 120.
I just added a 6th that only runs when lights are on.
All are on pulse or else mode except the 6th which is not a controllable powerhead.
I have heavy surface agitation and BB with no visible or vacumed detrius done.
Their is detrius under the rock work though.

I would recommend 3 on the back wall and minimum 1 on each end.
Tunze 6105's would get the party started with some wide and some narrow nozzles.
Larger powerheads could easily be used in your system also.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I asked this in a different thread, but I can’t find it.

I have 3 powerheads. How can I best position them (location + pointing direction) for the ULTIMATE particle/detritus removal?

Currently my powerheads are pointing away from the overflow which is just causing the detritus/ junk to recirculate around the DT.

Just to reiterate: I have 3 power heads. One on the left side and two on the right.

image.jpg
I agree those powerheads seem a bit undersized. But to answer your question, I’d put a powerful one on either end, then one less powerful low in the center of the back wall. That way the ends should push to the middle and the center low will push to the overflow.

In my tank I have one in each lower rear corner facing the front which pushes everything forward, to the center and up to the overflow. I’m running 100x flow in just my two powerheads.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer some questions:

My tank is 250 gallons.

I’m using the jebao OW-50. They are extremely powerful at a little over 5000 gph.

I have 3 which is 15,000gph. It’s giving me 60X turnover which is not including my return pump.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are right. I actually had a FOURTH jebao OW-50. I cleaned it and notice a rubbe part was missing so I was afraid of putting it in.

Look at my flow now (it’s stirring the tank like crazy

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back