How to prevent snail loss

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever i buy some snails, i usually end up with maybe 20 percent if what i started. The astrea snails top over and my cleaner shrimp eat them. So frustrating. I added a cuc from reef cleaners. Next morning half of the florida cerith snails have empty shells. I even saw a nassarius snail eating another snail. I was thinking is it better to keep the snails in a simple observation tank before adding? Honestly the cleaner shrimp is well fed, and still has the audacity to steal from all my corals

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snail populations are pretty sensitive to the carrying capacity of the tank. This can include predation from other animals, most commonly hermit crabs seeking out snails for their shells, or via starvation due to lack of food. However, both of these issues present over time- if you are losing that many snails overnight, I would assume the problem is either with your acclimation or the condition of the snails upon their arrival.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever i buy some snails, i usually end up with maybe 20 percent if what i started. The astrea snails top over and my cleaner shrimp eat them. So frustrating. I added a cuc from reef cleaners. Next morning half of the florida cerith snails have empty shells. I even saw a nassarius snail eating another snail. I was thinking is it better to keep the snails in a simple observation tank before adding? Honestly the cleaner shrimp is well fed, and still has the audacity to steal from all my corals
Lol...i think it just comes down to "survival of the fittest" i cant tell you how many time I have to help a fallen snail that has flipped over im assuming after falling off the rocks -- using my coral feeder. I was actually going to create a "Poll" on here "How many of you have come to your Snails Rescue" when you see them in trouble. Im sure its also that your hermits may be greedy as well. Nature of the Beast i guess.

Rob

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that 1-when I have hermit crabs in my system new snails get demolished and others get preyed on. And 2-mortality rate depends who I order from. Some are a lot worse than others. If you have a lot being eaten or not turning over/ moving overnight they were likely just about dead when you got them.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob,

In case you were wondering, not all snails can or can't right themselves- it depends on the species. The "survival of the fittest" isn't at play- only the fact that we've taken species that don't live near sandbeds where they need to right themselves and placed them there (as opposed to residing on rock rubble where there is always a surface to leverage against).

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the florida ceriths, which i saw they were alive in the shell, but take a few days to become active, i bought from john on reef cleaners. Everything came in alive, its just a little frustrating when you buy 10 astrea snails and only have 4 survive from your lfs

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i have added the snails to the rock, i placed them near the sandbed? All are active except the florida ceriths

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had an issue with snails except for margarita snails. The most productive ones for me are the stomatella snails, which appear more like slugs. I have a 20 gallon tank that they are very successfully cleaning and reproducing in with no help from me. I often see them on the glass, glass bottom, and the rock work and they have no issue righting themselves as their shell is very tiny. They seem to be very resilient, as I had one get stuck on my overflow and I thought it was dead so I pulled it off but accidentally ripped the butt off.... whoops. Turns out, he was alive and went straight back to eating after his butt-ectomy. I have about 15 hermits and I’ve never seen any issues between these two species. :)

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had an issue with snails except for margarita snails. The most productive ones for me are the stomatella snails, which appear more like slugs. I have a 20 gallon tank that they are very successfully cleaning and reproducing in with no help from me. I often see them on the glass, glass bottom, and the rock work and they have no issue righting themselves as their shell is very tiny. They seem to be very resilient, as I had one get stuck on my overflow and I thought it was dead so I pulled it off but accidentally ripped the butt off.... whoops. Turns out, he was alive and went straight back to eating after his butt-ectomy. I have about 15 hermits and I’ve never seen any issues between these two species. :)
I personally really like the astrea snails, but its a really big hit or miss with the, i have a few that never fall over and will destroy certain types of algae. Thanks!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a few astrea snails bc they can’t right themselves. I like turbo, trochus and cerith snails, all right themselves if they fall. I’ve gotten all from reef cleaners and have had no issues. The dwarf ceriths did take about 4 or more days to “wake up”. I have maybe 5-7 empty shells out of the 40ish critters I ordered.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a few astrea snails bc they can’t right themselves. I like turbo, trochus and cerith snails, all right themselves if they fall. I’ve gotten all from reef cleaners and have had no issues. The dwarf ceriths did take about 4 or more days to “wake up”. I have maybe 5-7 empty shells out of the 40ish critters I ordered.
For me the drawf ceriths were the first to move, the florida ceriths are the slow ones for me

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back