Diamond watchman goby eating snails

PaulE61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added 3 Orange Marble snails to my tank, the disappeared into the sand never saw them alive again, next thing the fish is collecting the empty shells in his/her cave.
added 5 nassarius snails, same again, empty shells.
I had my last tank stood in a corner for almost a year, no heat, no flow, nothing.... was emptying and found 2 Nassarius snails alive, little survivors, so I put em into the tank, same story, turn up empty shells again, bit gutted as they lasted so long with nothing for so long.
Seems the goby has a taste for sand dwelling snails, anyone else ever seen this behaviour, is it common?.
Cheers Paul

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your diamond goby is killing them I'd be fairly surprised, but it's technically possible. You're going to have a lot less living microfauna in your sand with a diamond goby and they may be starving. Have you seen it attack them?

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no I haven't, only seen him carrying the empty shells in his mouth, last two lasted almost a year in a dead tank, put them in the DT, they lasted a couple of days.
My diamond goby does the same exact thing. I haven't seen him kill them but he carries them around and build walls with them. I lose a lot of cuc.

OP
OP
P

PaulE61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My diamond goby does the same exact thing. I haven't seen him kill them but he carries them around and build walls with them. I lose a lot of cuc.
Its only sand dwelling snails he eats, leaves turbo snails alone, must be a rare trait, cant find anything online about this behaviour.
He is a bit of a character, constantly rearranges the sand to his liking which is a bit of a headache but he keeps it clean and looking good otherwise I'd get rid.

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of it but each fish is different. I had a porcupine puffer with a taste for clowns

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing the fish isn't eating the snails but placing them in/around the borough for some reason which leads to their death. Kind of funny imo.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back