How to properly cull pulsing Xenia

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title pretty much says it all. I have pulsing Xenia all over the tank. They smother other corals. Would just cutting it around other corals work or should I do something different?
thank you in advance for the advice.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title pretty much says it all. I have pulsing Xenia all over the tank. They smother other corals. Would just cutting it around other corals work or should I do something different?
There are a couple ways. You can get some large tweezers (like the ten inch kind) and pull individual strands out if it’s not too matted to the rock, the other option is to get a stainless steel straw (the bent ones), and connect it to as siphon tube, and then you scrape/suction it out doing sort of a liposuction maneuver (if you’ve ever seen video of someone getting liposuction, you’ll know what I mean). You can usually get 99% of it doing the latter.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a similar issue and was going to ask for advice .

I have a encrusting monti starting to take off on a rock but noticed the Xenia have also started taking over that same rock

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use hemostats and grab main trunk as close as you can to attachment point on rock.
Clamp and twist, comes right off.
Remove this way to keep some distance between the xenia and other corals.

Irongolem411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have come to the point that I utilize the Xenia as a nutrient dump, and remove the Xenia that is close to any other corals on water change day. this keeps my nitrates and phosphates at 3-5 and .03. If I ever upgrade my aquarium , the Xenia will not be something I add again. This allows me to grow very nice acropora. Just have to keep up with the weeding.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can't see throwing it out since it is living. In the sump it seems to survive and help like they guy a few post before me said.
Also I give it away then
But just can't seem to throw it away

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you expound on why you are putting it in your sump? Thanks.
Xenias feed on nitrates, so they have a utility function. You'd still want to cull them in the sump so they can regrow and absorb more NO3, much as you'd trim chaeto back. Xenias grow like weeds. I've got mine on a rock away from my main aquascape to keep 'em in check.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back