How to Quarantine Kole tang

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that makes sense! i took the biomedia out of my frogfish tank and put it in with the medical tank and doesn't seem to be doing anything. biospira should be coming tomorrow. how long can a fish be in nitrates of 3? would you not put anything into the take for food until it goes down or you have the biospira.. i'm really confused because i put like 80% water from my other tank in there and its still nitrites. i dont know why! that tank doesn't even have a filter....its bacteria is so strong it doesn't need anything except live rock and sand. maybe i should put sand in that tank? maybe live rock? i know some people have live rock and sand in the qt tank but will copper kill the beneficial bacteria or not?

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that at least makes me feel better to know that a fish that doesn't survive a freshwater dip was always a zombie fish. that happened to me once, and yes, it was dying already. any ideas for holes in a fin? what should i be doing about that? its been at least a week and a half? is that flukes?

Cheche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that at least makes me feel better to know that a fish that doesn't survive a freshwater dip was always a zombie fish. that happened to me once, and yes, it was dying already. any ideas for holes in a fin? what should i be doing about that? its been at least a week and a half? is that flukes?
Nitrate of 3 is fine. If you use water from your DT your bacteria is there no need to add anything. And no rock or sand that will absorb the copper or any medicine you use.and for the kole tang on qt with cupermine.i just got one from my lfs and I have him in the Qt with 5ppm of cupermine so far so good is been 7 days.so in my opinion this fish can be treated in copper. I did follow the instructions on the label and is a 10g only a back filter with nothing in it but the lil pump to move the water and 4 pice of pvc pipe one heater at 79f .and I have qt all my fish there before going to the DT

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have sent several bristlooth tangs, including four Koles now (one currently for the second time) through copper at above fully therapeutic dose. I don’t find them to be a copper-sensitive fish at all. I have one in quarantine now that was coated in velvet 4 days ago and is now completely velvet free and miraculously beginning to eat again.

Anyway, tangs are not typically very copper-sensitive — which is good because they’re the fish that need copper treatment the most. Every once in awhile (perhaps one in ten yellow or 1 in 20 other zebrasoma tangs) cannot handle copper well, small yellow being the most common IME, followed by juvenile sailfin.

Anyway, definitely run fish through copper even if they show no symptoms. These fish are kept in subtherapuetic levels of copper throughout the distribution system which can subdue velvet or ich from taking over for about a month. Even if no spots show, they often have them in their gills. Kole can be pretty hardy and fight off disease well for some time, but add them to a tank full of more fragile tangs and they’ll behave as effective Typhoid Mary’s. Not a risk I’d take, considering nearly every fish you buy these days carry’s ich or velvet. Velvet is every bit as common, now.

Just my .02
Hey so im about to quarantine my kole... going to be using copper power...couple of questions...first, do you wait for it to start eating before putting in copper? Lastly, how long do u treat copper for? I am planning 30 days.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so im about to quarantine my kole... going to be using copper power...couple of questions...first, do you wait for it to start eating before putting in copper? Lastly, how long do u treat copper for? I am planning 30 days.
I do it right away typically unless it looks emaciated. If it doesn’t show signs of parasites otherwise I might wait a few days if it eats to fatten it up.

30 days or 14 days if you move it to an entirely new quarantine that shares nothing with the first and assuming you do not cross contaminate :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back