How to Quarantine

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 fish left from an ich breakout ....this might be a stupid question , but do I try to pull out these fish and put them in quarantine ? It is going to close to impossible with the rockwork I have ...
The remaining fish look really strong and are eating like pigs. This is what my tank looks like
ed1d8886622c3bdda4ef27f3817ba0f6.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 fish left from an ich breakout ....this might be a stupid question , but do I try to pull out these fish and put them in quarantine ? It is going to close to impossible with the rockwork I have ...
The remaining fish look really strong and are eating like pigs. This is what my tank looks like
ed1d8886622c3bdda4ef27f3817ba0f6.jpg
Yes because although your fish have built up a resistance the parasite will live and breed in low numbers in your fish's gills, ready to prey on new additions. Some new additions may build a resistance as well but you'll kill several fish trying for certain. It's not an ethical way to do it although I did it for years I am ashamed.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The remaining fish look really strong and are eating like pigs.

I suggest reading this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

If you choose ich eradication, build a fish trap using eggcrate, zip ties and fishing line for the trap door. Or use a bottle trap. Be patient - you'll catch them all eventually.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remove all rock and re-aqua scape. Fish can't escape me with low water and no rock

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My quarantine process is similar to Option A listed above, with a slight variation. I don't like to medicate unless absolutely necessary; the only med I use for prophylactic treatment is Prazipro since it's one of the most gentle meds at our disposal. My protocol:

Day 1: New fish in QT with salinity matched to transport bag (I buy all of my fish online)
Day 2-3: Ensure fish is acclimated properly and is eating well.
Day 4: First round of Prazipro
Day 9: Partial WC, followed by second round of Prazipro
Day 14: Start TTM
Day 26: Finish TTM, observe for additional week (minimum) to ensure no Amyloodinium or Brooklynella is present
Day 33+: Transfer to DT

If velvet or brook rear their ugly heads, I cease TTM and treat for these parasites immediately (I have CP and formalin on hand as part of my "fish medicine cabinet"). If the fish is shipped at a low salinity (most online retailers ship fish at around 1.018), I raise the salinity by 0.001 during each transfer in TTM. I keep my DT at 1.025, so no extended acclimation is required when the fish is moved.
TTM?

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But don't know what size tank to do it in ....and trying to Catherine the 2 wrasses is
going to be the problem

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank transfer method: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/

Rather do the copper treatment

Copper treatment: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-treatment.193343/

But don't know what size tank to do it in ....and trying to Catherine the 2 wrasses is
going to be the problem

You are probably going to have to use a bottle trap to catch the wrasses. Sand burrowing wrasses are the hardest to catch.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is irritating... Just kept fish in it at therapeutic levels (actually almost double the minimum therapeutic level) for three times the required duration and I'm 90% sure I have ich.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to this what do you mean by therapeutic level
For cupramine it is allegedly .35-.5. I had it at .45-.75. It did fluctuate more than it probably should but there's zero reason that after using it and one tank transfer that it should be in there.

I left the tank fallow only 66 days rather than 72 due to a mishap - that's still a 90-95% margin of error that it should have been ich free.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if I can get a vet to write me a prescription you say that's the way to go???

Using CP, praziquanteI and metronidazole is my preferred QT treatment protocol. The last two can be obtained without a prescription. In fact, API General Cure contains sufficient quantities of both prazi & metro IMO.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it more forgiving than copper ???

I've been using CP for the past 6 years now, and IME it does seem gentler than copper on most fish. The exception to this seems to be certain wrasses - especially sixlines. However, I've run fairy/flasher wrasses thru it with no problem.

cono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am asking a lot of questions but really want to get rid of this ich in the dt and really want to get all my fish in quarantine and start dosing so how would I do this and for how long???

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am asking a lot of questions but really want to get rid of this ich in the dt and really want to get all my fish in quarantine and start dosing so how would I do this and for how long???

30 days same as copper. I am working on a faster way to treat with CP, but I am still conducting experimentation and don't want to mislead anyone until I am sure about it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back