How to raise phosphate up

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20 gallon tank and have run almost 8 months. My tank have Welso, acan, chalice, favia, some mushroom and 6 frag SPS, 3 of those are acro. My coral pretty healthy last few weeks. However, they start to suffer, SPS don't extend too much polyps, some lose color, welso retrated almost a week. My parameter are below
Kh: 7.9
Nitrate: 4-6
Phosphate : 0 ( just check by HANAH UL)
Ph: 8.1-8.3
Cal: 430
Salinity: 1.025

Does anyone know how to raise phostphate up? Is it a reason why my coral suffer. I'm dosing NO3PO4 X to bring nitrate down. I dose 2 ml daily and running GFO.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Flourish Phosphorus will raise phosphate. I've learned that nitrate and phosphate can be anywhere from insignificant, to the most important nutrients in your tank. When I was in the hobby in the mid-90's through early 2000's, I don't remember testing either, and my tanks did very well. When I got back in the hobby last summer, I didn't worry much about testing. When I finally did test, I measured 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate. After ignoring that, I got a huge dino problem (toxins and all), I've spent months trying to eradicate by removing dinos, dosing nitrate and phosphate, and finally adding an expensive UV sterilizer.

The simplest thing to do is to stop dosing NOPOX and see what that does. If phosphate doesn't rise over time, you can add something like Flourish.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Flourish Phosphorus will raise phosphate. I've learned that nitrate and phosphate can be anywhere from insignificant, to the most important nutrients in your tank. When I was in the hobby in the mid-90's through early 2000's, I don't remember testing either, and my tanks did very well. When I got back in the hobby last summer, I didn't worry much about testing. When I finally did test, I measured 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate. After ignoring that, I got a huge dino problem (toxins and all), I've spent months trying to eradicate by removing dinos, dosing nitrate and phosphate, and finally adding an expensive UV sterilizer.

The simplest thing to do is to stop dosing NOPOX and see what that does. If phosphate doesn't rise over time, you can add something like Flourish.
If i stop dosing NO3PO4X my nitrate will go too high. I have to dose 1-2ml everyday to keep it stable. If I dose vinegar insted of NO3PO4x then it will not effect phosphate right???

Jwheld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use food grade trisodium phosphate...

Is the PAR too high?

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use food grade trisodium phosphate...

Is the PAR too high?
Yes i'm using kessil and running 100% intensity at peak because my SPS need light. My tank around 150-250. Is phosphtae cause my coral suffer?

Jwheld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150-250 isn’t bad.

There is a lot of evidence that limiting phosphate is harmful. I would dose to at least keep them detectable.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150-250 isn’t bad.

There is a lot of evidence that limiting phosphate is harmful. I would dose to at least keep them detectable.
Can i stop dosing NO3PO4 X to bring phosphate and only use vinegar for keep my nitrate down?

Jwheld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not as familiar with carbon dosing, since I e never done it. Hope someone can chime in for you.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i stop dosing NO3PO4X my nitrate will go too high. I have to dose 1-2ml everyday to keep it stable. If I dose vinegar insted of NO3PO4x then it will not effect phosphate right???

I’ve never dosed carbon either, but my understanding is that carbon dosing… NOPOX, vodka, vinegar, etc. will result in reduced nitrates and phosphates, but someone with experience dosing carbon might state otherwise. Why did you start dosing NOPOX? Did you have high nitrate/phosphate or did you start dosing as a preventative?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the gfo, or at least reduce the amount, and see what the po4 does.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never dosed carbon either, but my understanding is that carbon dosing… NOPOX, vodka, vinegar, etc. will result in reduced nitrates and phosphates, but someone with experience dosing carbon might state otherwise. Why did you start dosing NOPOX? Did you have high nitrate/phosphate or did you start dosing as a preventative?
Yes I start SPS hobby, but nitrate always stay over 5 and All my sps doesn't extend polyps and start browning. I try to dose no3po4x 2 ml daily but it still stay over 5. What should I do to keep it balance??

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the gfo, or at least reduce the amount, and see what the po4 does.
I did pull gfo out this morning. I put 2 table spoon gfo for my tank. In the case phosphate goes up. Should I reduce to 1 table spoon to keep ot stable??

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i stop dosing NO3PO4 X to bring phosphate and only use vinegar for keep my nitrate down?

I expect the NOPOX and vinegar have similar effects on Nitrate (a lot) and phosphate (not as much).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how can I control phosphate and nitrate balance. My nitrate keep coming up but phosphate doesn't

Dosing phosphate is easy. Feeding more might also work.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try but nitrate goes too high when i did that. I don'r want to spike my nitrate.

It’s not too high now. How high did it get and did phosphate rise?

You sure your phosphate kit is working?

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not too high now. How high did it get and did phosphate rise?

You sure your phosphate kit is working?
Yep i just bought it. It is hanah ULTRA LOW phosphate kit. My nitrate stay around 4-5 and i have ner check phosphate until yesterday. My sps start browning and lose color. I not sure low phosphate or high nitrate cause my coral suffer like that.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did pull gfo out this morning. I put 2 table spoon gfo for my tank. In the case phosphate goes up. Should I reduce to 1 table spoon to keep ot stable??
I'd remove it and test daily and see what happens

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think nitrate of 5+ ppm is causing the browning. Not only is it not very high, your test kit’s margin of error and/or human error might make your readings high or low. When I started dosing for dinos, phosphate additions seemed to lower nitrates, and nitrate additions seemed to lower phosphates. I don’t know if there is a chemistry reason for this or if it has to do with how dinos uptake the nutrients, but I saw it and have read where this is common (at least when dealing with dinos).

If you don’t want to stop dosing NOPOX, why not add Flourish or a different phosphate source and see if you can raise phosphates without significantly lowering nitrates?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back