How to ramp up/down black box lights

Ahouseman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Viparspectra 165w lights and did a little trick to turn them into lights that ramp up in the morning and down in the evening: with a Broadlink RM4 smart remote

The RM4 can learn the Viparspectra remote's codes and then runs a schedule every 2 minutes in the morning that 'presses' menu-up-up and then the opposite in the evening bringing the blue channel smoothly up from 1% to 80% and back. (And the same for the white channel that comes on a little later, and only ramps from 1 to 8 and back down.)

For $25, it gives these black box lights (or any other brand that includes a remote) functionality usually found only on much more expensive units, and controls other stuff in the room like stereo and TV to boot.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool can you link the product your using? Would it be easy to program for someone that is technology illiterate like myself?

OP
OP
Ahouseman

Ahouseman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool can you link the product your using? Would it be easy to program for someone that is technology illiterate like myself?
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rm4+broadlink&ref=nb_sb_noss

I'm using the pro version because I have some RF stuff I'm controlling too, but the regular version should be fine for standard IR remotes.

Programming is pretty straight forward, in the smartphone app, just add a custom device and then "add a button", point the lights original remote at the RM4 and press the matching button you want to teach and it automatically copies the code.

Then just set up a 'routine', tell it what times to execute and what sequence of buttons to be 'pushed'

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201227-162306_BroadLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20201227-162306_BroadLink.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20201227-162409_BroadLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20201227-162409_BroadLink.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 86

Bravepickle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm using the pro version because I have some RF stuff I'm controlling too, but the regular version should be fine for standard IR remotes.

Programming is pretty straight forward, in the smartphone app, just add a custom device and then "add a button", point the lights original remote at the RM4 and press the matching button you want to teach and it automatically copies the code.

Then just set up a 'routine', tell it what times to execute and what sequence of buttons to be 'pushed'
Can you take a picture of the routin I have the same controller but I can’t figure out how to set it up

Bravepickle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you talk a pic of the complete commands because i Could not Figure it out

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey any update on this, I have 3 of them that I will like to ramp up and down, please help...

WBrandon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Viparspectra 165w lights and did a little trick to turn them into lights that ramp up in the morning and down in the evening: with a Broadlink RM4 smart remote

The RM4 can learn the Viparspectra remote's codes and then runs a schedule every 2 minutes in the morning that 'presses' menu-up-up and then the opposite in the evening bringing the blue channel smoothly up from 1% to 80% and back. (And the same for the white channel that comes on a little later, and only ramps from 1 to 8 and back down.)

For $25, it gives these black box lights (or any other brand that includes a remote) functionality usually found only on much more expensive units, and controls other stuff in the room like stereo and TV to boot.
I know this is a super old post but I just bought the RM4 and I’m having some issues getting it programmed… If you could give me some more guidance I would really appreciate it..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back