How to recognize a branching hammer BEFORE it branches?

Peter Houde

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 28, 2021
Messages
409
Reaction score
343
Location
New Mexico, USA
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, the same 'ol, same 'ol perennial question: is it a branching or a wall hammer?
How can you tell before it branches?
Is the skeleton pleated/striped in both?

Here's a pic of the unknown I got today during acclimation.
Don't be confused by the little fishy thingies above the coral. It's just reflections of the light on the surface.
And don't be confused by the reflection of the coral on the container. It's not another head.
IMG_3110.JPG
IMG_3113.JPG
IMG_3114.JPG
 
To add, a wall hammer will have at least one cut end that is obvious. I have a wall that is straight and cut on both ends, I have another that has one cut but is a y shape
 
In small colonies, branching and wall hammers are mainly differentiated from each other by acrosphere curviness and corallite size.
 
To add, a wall hammer will have at least one cut end that is obvious. I have a wall that is straight and cut on both ends, I have another that has one cut but is a y shape
This is (was) a wall with no cut ends. Of course it died.
IMG_3115.JPG
 
So the outer wall regenerates and the cut disappears?
I could very much be wrong, not an expert, just based on how walls grow and are fragged. Do you know the origin of the particular example? I would be curious as to how you can have a cut less frag of a wall hammer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new