How to remova Zoas

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mrcote1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I'd continue doing what you did, slowly, like you did.

I did something similar with an exosphere frag I had that ended up too close to zoas that look a lot like yours, and they started covering up the exospheres.
 
Alright, so after removing some over the past week and going nuts today I have removed one of the 2 large colonies and fragged it up. It went a lot better than expected. I moved probably 30 - 40 polyps today alone

cbc263e4-a613-489e-9ce7-731f10083d12.jpg
 
I've always avoided Zoas, don't like how fast they spread and I like a tank that matures slowly. Tim, @tbrown has, and frags, Zoas so maybe he can help.
To revive this...how exactly did you end up doing it? I have some orange/tan ones, that are royally ticking me off. My majestic isnt the least bit interested, and I have to do something like 6 months ago...they're fast!
 
I've always avoided Zoas, don't like how fast they spread and I like a tank that matures slowly. Tim, @tbrown has, and frags, Zoas so maybe he can help.
To revive this...how exactly did you end up doing it? I have some orange/tan ones, that are royally ticking me off. My majestic isnt the least bit interested, and I have to do something like 6 months ago...they're fast!
Well, I’m actually trying is putting torches around it so the tentacles sting not sure if it will work out or not.
 
yeah IDK, but it's SUPER frustrating. I HATE zoas/palys anything that so much as looks like them. ugh.
 
Is there a way to circle the colony with paste or glue to create a barrier around it so it can't spread? I'm a newbie so it was just a thought
 
I took some time one afternoon about 3 or 4 weeks ago and peeled off everything I could with some Hemostats. I still have a couple showing up now and again, but very easy to manage now.

Screenshot 2026-04-04 211009.jpg
 
I don’t have any zoas and never will, but if it were me I would get a UV stick and kill them with it, then discard. When I was fighting Dino’s, I had to work on the rocks and corals that were accidentally touched died. Imagine if I had spent 30 seconds on them…
 
I don’t have any zoas and never will, but if it were me I would get a UV stick and kill them with it, then discard. When I was fighting Dino’s, I had to work on the rocks and corals that were accidentally touched died. Imagine if I had spent 30 seconds on them…
I mean...that could possibly work. However, this could be an ignorant statement...but I already run UV, so what would happen using that?
 
I mean...that could possibly work. However, this could be an ignorant statement...but I already run UV, so what would happen using that?
I believe he's referring to the Aiptasia/Majano wands maybe. They're a last that is supposed to kill and sterilize the anemones and would, likely, work on Zoas (and potentially any coral/fish) that get zapped.
 
I mean...that could possibly work. However, this could be an ignorant statement...but I already run UV, so what would happen using that?
It doesn’t matter if you’re already running a UV. This one is on a stick and you manually move it around where you need.

I believe he's referring to the Aiptasia/Majano wands maybe. They're a last that is supposed to kill and sterilize the anemones and would, likely, work on Zoas (and potentially any coral/fish) that get zapped.
I’m referring to the UV wand mad for Dino’s, but it will kill anything in its path.

The guy who makes it is on this forum and there is a very long thread about it. https://3dreefing.com/products/sand-bed-uv-sweeper
 
That UV sweeper would be great it it had a 1 cm window so you could spot treat pests on the rocks. I guess you could print a sleeve for it.

I have a majano wand in the garage I bought 10-15 years ago. It is a low voltage probe that causes electrolysis in the tissues it pierces. Possibly creating oxygen radicals.

I have a number of zoas, huge number of green mushrooms, aiptasia and majanos to deal with. Vinegar, kalk, and strong surgical sponge clamps haven’t helped. I have been thinking of trying one of those 6 watt blue lasers
 
That UV sweeper would be great it it had a 1 cm window so you could spot treat pests on the rocks. I guess you could print a sleeve for it.
Or use it vertically with a piece of tape on it. If there is such tape that is reef safe. I’m sure something could be done with a little creativity.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new