How To Remove Copper From DT

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how low the ph went? I do keep my ph around 8.1-8.3 but I didn’t when I was trying to remove the copper out.
Below 7.5, which is as I recall the point where some calcium based material start to dissolve. Much more release was seen below 6.4
Jay

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below 7.5, which is as I recall the point where some calcium based material start to dissolve. Much more release was seen below 6.4
Jay
If my ph ever went that low; copper would be the least of my worries lol.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you run copper in your display tank like I had to do? So I’m guessing after multiple water changes and Cuprisorb you can run coral and invertebrates again?
Yes, I added copper power 2.5ppm to my display for 6 weeks. I didn’t do water changes, just cuprisorb. I currently have corals and inverts doing well + no copper with ICP.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To reiterate -- I would advise AGAINST copper in a DT. Though I've had success, and others have - in many cases it is probably not best practice. That said, it CAN be done, it seems by my example and others! :)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To reiterate -- I would advise AGAINST copper in a DT. Though I've had success, and others have - in many cases it is probably not best practice. That said, it CAN be done, it seems by my example and others! :)
I completely agree. I wouldn’t do copper in a DT again.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be cleaning out a tank after running copper power in it for around 10 days. Hoping I'll be able to clean it and sell it after, would be a shame to have to toss it. But for sure will use this thread for help when the time comes. As of now there's sand but no rock and I will be tossing the sand after.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be cleaning out a tank after running copper power in it for around 10 days. Hoping I'll be able to clean it and sell it after, would be a shame to have to toss it. But for sure will use this thread for help when the time comes. As of now there's sand but no rock and I will be tossing the sand after.
The tank itself won't have copper on it that can't be easily rinsed off. Just don't reuse any carbonate material like sand or rocks.

Jay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank itself won't have copper on it that can't be easily rinsed off. Just don't reuse any carbonate material like sand or rocks.

Jay
Thanks makes me feel better when ready to sell it. Anything tricky for cleaning plumbing, equipment? It's a mid sized reefer with skimmer and heater. Just clean, rinse dry? I ordered polyfilter pads, carbon and cuprisorb

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks makes me feel better when ready to sell it. Anything tricky for cleaning plumbing, equipment? It's a mid sized reefer with skimmer and heater. Just clean, rinse dry? I ordered polyfilter pads, carbon and cuprisorb

Rinsing with white vinegar will help. Copper absorbs onto calcium based material and adsorbs onto material with a lot of surface area. Rinsing removes the latter, but the former needs to have the calcium material dissolved first, and the vinegar does that.

Copper "carryover" was really mostly a thing when ionic copper was used in tanks with lots of calcareous material, for a long period.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back