How to remove halimeda

Alazo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm thinking of purchasing some live rock from the gulf. I see on a lot of their pictures that the live rock has halimeda. Is there a way to permanently remove it. I really don't want it to overtake the tank as this is not the look I am looking for.

thanks,
Albert

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm thinking of purchasing some live rock from the gulf. I see on a lot of their pictures that the live rock has halimeda. Is there a way to permanently remove it. I really don't want it to overtake the tank as this is not the look I am looking for.

thanks,
Albert
Hallemeda does very poorly in reef tanks. I believe because the lighting requirement for it is very low. You can easily mechanically export what you see. The rest will very likely die off.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't think it's a concern it does not really grow out of control like poorly managed caulerpa can for example. It is pretty easy to cut it back and the kinds on those rocks usually grow like a branching coral almost and not an encrusting type.

OP
OP
A

Alazo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like I don't have to worry about it.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallemeda does very poorly in reef tanks. I believe because the lighting requirement for it is very low. You can easily mechanically export what you see. The rest will very likely die off.
Mine is flourishing. 2 different strains. I pluck it for control. Some don't come back if you get most of the root. It does grow slower in brighter. Rocks from the tampa area have the most right now. If you wait till summer kp seems to have less macros. All are great rocks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back