How to remove moisture from salt mix

Galeno rocha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I accidentally left my salt container open for several days. The salt os ver hygroscopic and absorbed a lot of moisture. It is now wet actually. It is still useable, but it makes it very hard to dissolve and messed up my salt/water proportion. Can I heat it in the oven to remove the water? I have a fish and Soft corals only nano, so I'm not that worried about calcium precipitating.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I accidentally left my salt container open for several days. The salt os ver hygroscopic and absorbed a lot of moisture. It is now wet actually. It is still useable, but it makes it very hard to dissolve and messed up my salt/water proportion. Can I heat it in the oven to remove the water? I have a fish and Soft corals only nano, so I'm not that worried about calcium precipitating.
You will not be able to recreate the original salt mix by heating it in the oven. Most likely it will form a hard lump. Why nit dry a tablespoon of the wet salt in the oven and determine if it meets your needs?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly worth a shot! Report back your findings.

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used this method before in the past...not sure if it's not right but it worked...

Purchase or gather up silica gel packets/Desiccant from vitamin bottles. Add them to a mesh filter bag. And place inside salt mix container

OP
OP
G

Galeno rocha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the oven method. It came out very clumpy, but mostly breakable and not rock like. Most of it is still a fine powder.
Muito main worry is about weird chemichal changes due to heat. I know that heat can turn bicarbonate into carbonate. Will
it yield a crazy ph after mixing?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back