How to run your new tank without fallow and quarantine, post here for guidance live time, we track your tank out to eight months

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put nori in my frozen blend along with krill, clams and mysis. I do use about 50-60% frozen in their diet as finding small order live clams nearly impossible in my area... White worm culture restarting soon as well so I can get back on track.

@Paul B any use of phyto in your setup?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put nori in my frozen blend along with krill, clams and mysis. I do use about 50-60% frozen in their diet as finding small order live clams nearly impossible in my area... White worm culture restarting soon as well so I can get back on track.

@Paul B any use of phyto in your setup?
No, I have never used Phyto. Not that it's bad, I just never needed it for anything.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do so purely to boost copepod numbers to ensure the population doesn't dip due to a hungry mandarin. Just to reduce reliance on BBS and the peletized food. Not surprised a 6' tank that is 50 years old doesn't have issues with pod populations

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that brings in a good point, new bare dry rock startups need to buy a bunch of real pods in a bag and add them

gammarids, not just the invisible pods we pay tons for. real wigglers, Paul gets them from shore we can get them by order

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earthworms are fantastic and even anemones love them. Who would have thought?
I have never given my hippo tang seaweed or nori. I just don't have any and I think the worms and clams are better. He is a beautiful blue velvet color with a slightly rounded appearance.

Hippo Tang.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But I never wanted examples from known reef jedis lol the need is for regular folks especially beginners. Yes I got frustrated we've none on file

We needed about five willing new tank builds recruited (they're not flocking in droves) and tracked and prepped here live time

There's too much comfort in our own tanks. Those with something to prove need to drive participation, lots of other work threads exist for other claims and practices but this one struggles to get going it seems.

Paul's 160 page thread has hundreds of readers and participants, so from that group surely we can direct a few startups this way

I recommended a few but no takers they either opted for no controls at all, winging it, or the fallow mode + qt
IMHO - you are beating a dead horse. Most people on this site do not QT. IMHO - this is not a groundbreaking idea. Its what most people do. There is no real debate here. There is no way to do the study - even if you had 10 new tank 'stories'. There are too many variables. But - the study you want has been done - there are thousands of reefers here - and based on the survey's 60-80 percent do not quarantine - and an even smaller percentage use medication empirically. That in itself seems to me to 'prove' that its possible. One poster has a method. Another has a different method. They both have the same results (this proves its not 'the method'). At least this is my opinion.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Earthworms are fantastic and even anemones love them. Who would have thought?
I have never given my hippo tang seaweed or nori. I just don't have any and I think the worms and clams are better. He is a beautiful blue velvet color with a slightly rounded appearance.

Hippo Tang.jpeg
I fed an anemone a full grown - maybe 6 inch in diameter discus that jumped out of the tank. The next AM - there was a perfect discus skeleton next to the anemone

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't qt, and I don't medicate. Never have. My current tank has been up for a few months. You can read about it in my build thread if you're interested. What I am not interested in is posting here, giving updates, and having the QT police harassing me. I see a few people on different threads that just cant stop beating the drum about their pro-med and QT system being the only way to do it. My experience tells me otherwise. It's my tank, and not my first. I'm just going to do it my way and enjoy it. What I have taken from PaulB is to vary the fishes diet, and add more "real" food. I don't automate anything except for my topoff water. I wouldn't mind throwing a feeder on there for when I go out of town.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't qt, and I don't medicate. Never have. My current tank has been up for a few months. You can read about it in my build thread if you're interested. What I am not interested in is posting here, giving updates, and having the QT police harassing me. I see a few people on different threads that just cant stop beating the drum about their pro-med and QT system being the only way to do it. My experience tells me otherwise. It's my tank, and not my first. I'm just going to do it my way and enjoy it. What I have taken from PaulB is to vary the fishes diet, and add more "real" food. I don't automate anything except for my topoff water. I wouldn't mind throwing a feeder on there for when I go out of town.
I’m playing both sides so I always come out on top :) lol
Anyway I bet a lot of people who QT have had a tragedy where they also didn’t QT then velvet, flatworms, BJD, or something else came along and wiped out their tank. Hard to not want to QT after something like that

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MNFish
there was also a time here where if polled (my virtual polls he he) 98% of people would say they would never, ever, ever rinse sand. for any reason

and now we've carved that down to about half, progress can be made on the QT front it just takes twenty years of typing. it takes a pushy soul to move these things brick by brick

Im truly interested to see just 1-5 examples ran, I want to see how key prediction times in the new builds are handled to the side of fish disease. requests for uglies help will be profound/want to see how advised.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people on this site do not QT. IMHO - this is not a groundbreaking idea. Its what most people do. There is no real debate here.
Most people do it wrong in my opinion and if they do it wrong their tank is just as susceptible to disease as tanks that quarantine. It is the "Bacteria" in the food and the PATHOGENS living in the tank that keep it immune, not the fact that they are quarantining or not quarantining. That is why I get nasty letters from people saying they followed my method and lost their tank due to velvet. I am tired of it and am fed up to here. (My hand is under my chin)

Then I find out they are feeding dry foods or medicating or not feeding foods with living bacteria which you will not get in commercially available fish food no matter how nice the angel fish is on the package. That food is very good, I use it myself but it is not enough. You really should get live worms, clams, fresh or freshly frozen are second. Not clams from a LFS.

This stuff is very easy and not complicated at all. If I can do it with my high school education, anybody can do it. A white worm culture costs less than a test kit and much less than a water change and after the initial $15.00 they are free.
There is no excuse to have sick fish

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m playing both sides so I always come out on top :) lol
Anyway I bet a lot of people who QT have had a tragedy where they also didn’t QT then velvet, flatworms, BJD, or something else came along and wiped out their tank. Hard to not want to QT after something like that
lol
This is why I don't post about it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back