how to safely overstock my 40B to raise fish bioload?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
what fish can i add to my 40B (see attached), so i can raise fish bioload?

i have two clams, a maxima and a crocea who soak up my tanks nutrients. i run a DIY recirculating co2 reactor for my skimmer that runs 24/7, reverse photo period sump with chaeto.

now, to combat the nutrient issue i’ve shut down my skimmer for nearly this entire year, but just turned it back on this month to raise my PH with the recur. co2), and have dosed sodium nitrate and phosphorus (dosing reefmoonshiner method). and overfeed the fish (i make my own DIY concoction of frozen).

i currently have the following:

1 tomini tang(will rehome it in exchange for a court jester goby)
1 midas blenny
1 six line wrasse(so far so good, but if anything i will exchange for a yellow wrasse)
1 yellow head jawfish
2 red firefish goby

i plan on getting the following:
1 gold/yellow neon goby
1 XS blotchy anthias (from reefstorepro)
1 randall’s/orange stripe prawn shrimp goby

in terms of aggression, there currently is none. i’m aware the 6line can be a bully so i’m prepared to rehome it. otherwise i’m hoping for a peaceful tank so they can avoid being territorial.

am i able to increase bioload more than what i have planned above? i would definitely appreciate more fish movement in my tank and am very aware i can dose ammonium into the tank and avoid buying more fish!

IMG_0034.jpeg IMG_0038.jpeg IMG_0040.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What levels are nutrients at now? If low but not zero I wouldn't add more fish and upset the happy community just to increase the measurable feces in the water column. Liable to stir up some fin fighting action that increases stress and ruins the peace.

Dosing ammonia will feed your clams and corals directly and not ruin the peace unless you over do it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shakacuz

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What levels are nutrients at now? If low but not zero I wouldn't add more fish and upset the happy community just to increase the measurable feces in the water column. Liable to stir up some fin fighting action that increases stress and ruins the peace.

Dosing ammonia will feed your clams and corals directly and not ruin the peace unless you over do it.
i’m near undetectable levels on my hannah HR nitrate, and ULR phosphate. usually always 0.1 no3, and 0.00 po4. somehow do not have cyano or dino so it makes me question the tests, but i did confirm with an ICP so i’m a bit baffled. corals are definitely not as vibrant so i’ve sent out another ICP to check for trace element deficiency

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m near undetectable levels on my hannah HR nitrate, and ULR phosphate. usually always 0.1 no3, and 0.00 po4. somehow do not have cyano or dino so it makes me question the tests, but i did confirm with an ICP so i’m a bit baffled. corals are definitely not as vibrant so i’ve sent out another ICP to check for trace element deficiency
The livestock is efficient at removing it from the water column? Have you tried feeding phytoplankton?

Upvote 0

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40B display with a DIY 40B sump.

Every system is different. My NO3 (4) and P04 (.02). If I were to add one capful of phyto my numbers would drop.

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dose ammonia like the thread in the chemistry forum

adding animals brings in fish disease.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
shakacuz

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 40B display with a DIY 40B sump.

Every system is different. My NO3 (4) and P04 (.02). If I were to add one capful of phyto my numbers would drop.
i wish i had your levels.. :/ albeit the system seems fine, i would just like better(more vivid) colors. i’ll cut my dosage in half and see if anything changes, then completely cut out phyto if there is a slight change

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
shakacuz

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just dose ammonia like the thread in the chemistry forum
hoping to not have to add another thing to dose daily in my system… it’s an unpleasant chore that i would like to reduce from this hobby for myself but if there is no other choice… i’ll bite the bullet
adding animals brings in fish disease.
i would be looking to have the potential additions pre-quarantined prior to putting in the tank

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back