how to separate cemented pvc?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked similar before, but I don't remember the answer and I can't find it. can I separate cemented pvc fitting to pvc pipe? I'd like to sell my sump but it has pvc connectors on it that need to be separated, attached is pic. You can see if I cut the pvc going into each drain hole of the sump, that would leave almost nothing for a future fitting to attach to. If it was left like that, then a coupling could go in the remaining pipe section, but that would narrow flow going into it.
Ideally I'd be able to cut at the short section of pipe and then to pull out the pipe stuck in the drain holes. Is that possible without going nuts?
TIA

sump.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the only way to separate pvc is either with a cutter like already mentioned (which I’ve also ever used) or by applying enough heat to the joint. I personally wouldn’t try either of them in this case.
I’m not familiar with that sump but are the bulkheads going into the sump not replaceable? If they are then I would go that route, or just let whoever buys it know it probably needs new bulkheads.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the only way to separate pvc is either with a cutter like already mentioned (which I’ve also ever used) or by applying enough heat to the joint. I personally wouldn’t try either of them in this case.
I’m not familiar with that sump but are the bulkheads going into the sump not replaceable? If they are then I would go that route, or just let whoever buys it know it probably needs new bulkheads.
TY for that!.. YES. the bulkeads can be removed. I didnt think of that at all. I dont pay attention to plubming that much until I just plumbed my first tank a few weeks ago :-D . That solved my problem
It's a trigger 36 ruby. I'll cut the pvc right where I said, take out the bulk heads, clean it up and sell it soon
TY!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked similar before, but I don't remember the answer and I can't find it. can I separate cemented pvc fitting to pvc pipe? I'd like to sell my sump but it has pvc connectors on it that need to be separated, attached is pic. You can see if I cut the pvc going into each drain hole of the sump, that would leave almost nothing for a future fitting to attach to. If it was left like that, then a coupling could go in the remaining pipe section, but that would narrow flow going into it.
Ideally I'd be able to cut at the short section of pipe and then to pull out the pipe stuck in the drain holes. Is that possible without going nuts?
TIA

sump.jpg
I've seen plumbers separate them using a blowtorch to melt the cement, but if it were cemented correctly using a primer that would not work anyway.

I'd just replace the bulkheads on the sump.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TIA

sump.jpg

For " fun"

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen plumbers separate them using a blowtorch to melt the cement, but if it were cemented correctly using a primer that would not work anyway.

I'd just replace the bulkheads on the sump.
yes, no sense in doing anything other than remove the bulkheads, I didnt know tney were removable :-D , I already did it. Just to clean out the sump now

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of buying new bulkheads you can cut all the fittings and drill them out with the proper plumber saver bit. If you are using 3/4" plumbing often you will find many times that you want to change your sump config and you need new plumbing. The bit works just like you would expect it to. Drill out the old pipe and reuse the fitting. You have probably $20 in fittings and $20 in bulkheads that could be reused.

Plumber Saver

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some info I recently read. If you believe you might need to separate the pipe work and it’s not under pressure. Don’t use primer. It leaves the joint brittle and flexing it usually breaks the bond.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a heat gun, i removed several valves i wanted to reuse.. worked for me.

This is the way. Yeah it makes the fitting floppy too but PVC usually returns to its general shape when cooling, plus you can just shove some pipe in there to keep it the right size as it cools down.

I have done this so many times now its fanitastic.

But in OP's case, just cut the bulkheads out and replace them. Its not worth the headache.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the way. Yeah it makes the fitting floppy too but PVC usually returns to its general shape when cooling, plus you can just shove some pipe in there to keep it the right size as it cools down.

I have done this so many times now its fanitastic.

But in OP's case, just cut the bulkheads out and replace them. Its not worth the headache.
actualy just unscrew them. took a few seconds. I'll clean out the sump sell it. anyone here need a trigger 36 ruby? :-D

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of buying new bulkheads you can cut all the fittings and drill them out with the proper plumber saver bit. If you are using 3/4" plumbing often you will find many times that you want to change your sump config and you need new plumbing. The bit works just like you would expect it to. Drill out the old pipe and reuse the fitting. You have probably $20 in fittings and $20 in bulkheads that could be reused.

Plumber Saver
THx for that.. but that time for a newbie just is not worth it

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have heated up the pvc with a hear dryer. but never a tank. i did it with my sump pump outside where i screwed up on the drain. and then reglued it. with the tank if i did it with it I would replace the pvc.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back