How to split return between two tanks?

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out the best way to plumb my first sump. I'd like to split the return between my main 40g tank and a smaller macroalgae 20g tank and be able to control the amount of flow to the 20g. The 20g will overflow into the display. (It'll be on a higher stand beside the main tank. All drainage to the sump will come from the main tank.)

I can add a sweep wye to the return line to split but what kind of valve do I put on the 20g return to control the flow? A gate valve? Or will a ball valve do to reduce cost?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Elbereth please don’t use a cheap ball valve from a big box store. Everyone seems to regret doing that.

Personally, my go to valve is the Cepex ball valve because it has built in unions and a super nice valve

PlumbTuckered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out the best way to plumb my first sump. I'd like to split the return between my main 40g tank and a smaller macroalgae 20g tank and be able to control the amount of flow to the 20g. The 20g will overflow into the display. (It'll be on a higher stand beside the main tank. All drainage to the sump will come from the main tank.)

I can add a sweep wye to the return line to split but what kind of valve do I put on the 20g return to control the flow? A gate valve? Or will a ball valve do to reduce cost?

So two displays on one sump. Correct?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do something similar by tee'ing off a manifold from my return pump. Ensure that you use unions and a check valve. +1 for using quality valves. Spears or Cepex FTW.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for responding.

Yes, two displays and one sump in one system.

Thanks for the warning Mike and Fish Styx. The Spears gate valve is much more expensive where I live and I was wondering whether it's worth it so now I know. So a ball valve would be fine for the return to the smaller tank right? I don't need to dial in a specific flow rate.

As for unions, where would be the best place to put them? Right beneath the overflow box on the drain lines or closer to the bottom of the drain pipes? And for the return, before and/or after the tee?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you all for responding.

Yes, two displays and one sump in one system.

Thanks for the warning Mike and Fish Styx. The Spears gate valve is much more expensive where I live and I was wondering whether it's worth it so now I know. So a ball valve would be fine for the return to the smaller tank right? I don't need to dial in a specific flow rate.

As for unions, where would be the best place to put them? Right beneath the overflow box on the drain lines or closer to the bottom of the drain pipes? And for the return, before and/or after the tee?
The ball valve is fine for the return and it will allow you to dial in a flow that makes sense. Place the unions where you can reach them for maintenance, and where it makes sense. Place the check valve after the ball valve, and place both of those after the tee.

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a T off my return and use a ball valve from home depot to send water to the refugium. No

issues. I am in the process of setting up a 40 breeder next to my 75g to use as a frag tank. Going to take the pvc the was going to the refugium and put it to the 40 and that will drain into the refugium

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I want to use check valves because I probably clean them regularly. I'd rather make sure my sump has enough space to overflow.

Would a ball valve like this do?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personnal i would build a manifold with multiple outputs. You can use one for smaller tank and have one or 2 more available when needed for whatever.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Old school setup with the refugium above the display. Cool.

A good schedule 80 ball valve with unions will do it.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And are there any benefits to putting unions on return lines?
You have a moveable thing connected to another moveable thing. Unions are helpful from cleaning to adjusting placement to replacing a sump of a leaky tank or whatever. I don’t recommend ball valves on drains as they can be a place for things to clog up the system.

TLDR/ Drain lines are typically low pressure and have less chance of leaking vs a high-pressure return (as an example). The unions wont give you any trouble and make it easy to disconnect the display if need be.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've considered a manifold but decided not to bother with it since I don't have any equipment to connect to one now. I can always add one later if I need to.

Yes, definitely going to use a gate valve on the drain. Ball valve would be for the small tank return.

I'm planning to connect my pump output to a silicone hose and then connect that to the PVC return pipe so I don't need a union there. And I'll put a ball valve with unions on the 20g return line above the tee so I suppose I might as well put one on the return line to the main tank as well.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe how hard it is to find a 3/4" 45 degree wye fitting. Every place I look only seems to carry them in larger sizes.

I was planning to have the 20g return running diagonally from the sump (which will be underneath the main display) to minimize corners. But seeing how hard it is to find the appropriate fitting, I guess I'll have to use the more common 90 degree tee and then a flexible hose. :thinking-face:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back