How to start a Quarantine tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter smena54
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

smena54

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 8, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Location
Homestead Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering what’s the proper way to set up a QT. Do I use my display tank water? Water changes? Do I have to add medication if the fish looks fine? Etc. Thanks
 
What I do when setting up my quarantine tank.
It takes a little pre-planning.
I take a air powered sponge filter ( 6" x 6" ) and put it in the sump of my display tank for 5-6 weeks to seed it.
Then I just set up the 20 gallon tank. Add fresh saltwater. ( why not add the best possible water) I use a small back filter, and a small powerhead, and heater. A ammonia alert badge can be useful.
I use pvc fittings or other plastic tank decorations for cover for the fish.
I use a small freshwater light hood.
I usually pre-order live foods like tigger pods or live brine to help get newly shipped fish eating.
I plan on doing at least 30 days of copper once the fish is eating and settled in.
Then 2 rounds of prazipro.

The last year or so I skipped this and just bought fully quarantined fish from Dr. Reef. Saves me the stress of all this.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new