How to Start Dosing

LittleMaui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a medium-heavy 100 gal SPS tank using zeovit system which is working great. Corals are healthy and growing. I have easily been able to maintain CA and PH using Kalk in my ATO, but I do have to add ALK via baking soda daily. I would like to stop using Kalk (because it's so messy) and go to a dosing system - maybe Part A/B. What is the best way to do this?

Shawn

Currently:
CA - 420 occasionally add Part A
MAG - 1320
ALK - ranges 6.5-7.5 using baking soda
PH - 8.1-8.3

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might not be the best way but I used to use kalk. Once I got my pumps setup I dripped kalk till my levels were where I wanted them. I started at 8ml every 12 hours. I tested alk and calcium twice a day and adjusted accordingly. I'm now at 11ml every eight hours and it's holding pretty steady. I now only test once a day to make sure nothing is climbing or falling too fast. I've also found my new salt to be quite lacking. I drop a bit of kalk into the makeup salt to bring it more in line with my tank parameters.

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about how you are going to do it. You can manually add stuff twice a day or you can have a doser do it for you and add stuff all day. If you decide to automate do you already have a controller that can turn the pumps on when needed? If not get a doser that has a controller built in.

Either way test the stuff you are going to dose, Ca and Alk, and add stuff to get them to where you want them. If they are off make the changes slowly. Once you get things the way you want stop adding anything for a couple of days and then test again and bring it back up to where you want. The drop will give you an idea of how much your tank is using in a day. Over a couple of days add what you calculated your tank uses. Test. If the levels are going up reduce the dosage and if they are going down increase it. After a while your tank should be stable. But as things in the tank change, corals get bigger, you sell one to your buddy, your normal testing will show a drop or rise in parameters. Adjust your dosing accordingly. Continue to enjoy your tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have elected to use a two part over limewater or other methods (a fine choice), then the primary question is whether to use a commercial two part (such as B-ionic) or a DIY (say, by BRS).

Second question is whether you want to dose manually or use dosing pumps. Both work fine, but the former is less work and keeps alk more stable.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check THIS out and see if it helps to answer your questions.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back