How to store Live Rock

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello mates,

I have a question about storing live rock. I am going to be building a 75g reef tank in about 2 months, maybe 3. I cannot build it now because I will be moving into a new house. I have a friend that is needing to tear down his 125g tank in a week. I want to purchase all of his live rock to use in my tank because, well, it's already cycled and is beautiful and well, you just can't hardly find any live (wet) rock anymore. Plus he is selling me all 100lbs o it for $100.

What are the BEST PRACTICES for keeping live rock...alive and well, but not in a display tank. I have a couple of BRUTE 55g rubbermaid trashcans...can I just fill those with saltwater and the live rock and put a powerhead and a heater? Or do I need to have a light with a light cycle, as well...or any other options I am missing??

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Cheers

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto. In a 55 gallon if your filling it up water 2/3rds or 3/4ths just an airline at the bottom will create pretty good flow as the bubbles percolate through the rock. Unless you have corals the rock can tolerate temp swings of 8°-10° F. Just don't let it get too hot or too cold.

luvinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason to use a light would be if you want to keep Coraline alive etc. Other then that a heater and some flow. I would also probably add small amounts of some occasional food/waste to keep all the beneficial bacteria alive and thriving and cycling.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%

Back