How to store saltwater

HenHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how everyone stores their saltwater. I would like to store about 40 gallons at a time over 2 weeks or so so I can make a few water changes.

It seems when I store it more than a couple days is leaves a film and starts smelling a bit, just doesn’t seem fresh. I use reef crystals. Any advice would hope.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I store the RO/DI, not the salt, I use Fritz and I mix and add it to the tank after 2 hours of mixing. I believe it does not store well and is supposed to be put in the tank within hours of mixing.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how everyone stores their saltwater. I would like to store about 40 gallons at a time over 2 weeks or so so I can make a few water changes.

It seems when I store it more than a couple days is leaves a film and starts smelling a bit, just doesn’t seem fresh. I use reef crystals. Any advice would hope.

I only prepare mine at most 3-4 days before use. I suppose stirring and air flow would stop anaerobic bacteria from growing. So pump and an air stone would help not sure the time span would increase hold time for though.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I store salt (Red Sea blue bucket) for weeks at a time. Just a simple powerhead and a lid on the storage tank.

From my experience the only salts that don’t store well are those that have elevated levels of dKH and Calc

OP
OP
H

HenHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to a setup a bin to have my ro/di system fill the bucket but only when it get down to a certain level. Not just keeping filling it every time I might take a little out for top offs and such.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RC has some organic materials in it so it's not recommended to store for more than a day or so I think. I like regular IO because you can keep it heated and circulating for weeks at a time.

LesPaulPlayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RC has some organic materials in it so it's not recommended to store for more than a day or so I think. I like regular IO because you can keep it heated and circulating for weeks at a time.
Same here. IO in 55 gal drum with circulation for up to a month. No problems. I've been doing it this way for years.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 55 gallon containers in my water set up for my tank. My RODI system is controlled by my Apex, it keeps the RODI water full. From there I pump into my salt container. I make 55 gallons at a time, and it is used for auto water changes using a DOS. The water sits in there for about two and a half weeks. Once it's mixed for about an hour, it just sits there while the DOS dos it's thing. I am using RedSea Coral pro salt with no issues.

Dave

1cc636db5618fb13ed0d34543615f998.heic

That extension cord was temporary and is no longer there....

Last edited:

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another note, I am curious to opinions on the water quality after sitting. I don’t circulate the water after mixing, nor do I heat it.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As folks have noted, Reef Crystals may not be a good bet for storing, but normal IO can be stored just fine. I typically used it over a month or so.

nfrench2100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 32G Brute trash can. Run my RODI into it, mix my salt (Red Sea Coral Pro), turn on my heater and power head and let it ride. I do bi-weekly water changes.

So for instance. I just finished my WC and currently have the Brute refilling with RODI. When it gets to where I want it I add my salt.

This time though, I am filling 5 gallon buckets at a time and filling the Brute and marking the inside of my Brute container so I can know for sure when I’m at my 20 gallon mark. HTH!

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 32G Brute trash can. Run my RODI into it, mix my salt (Red Sea Coral Pro), turn on my heater and power head and let it ride. I do bi-weekly water changes.

So for instance. I just finished my WC and currently have the Brute refilling with RODI. When it gets to where I want it I add my salt.

This time though, I am filling 5 gallon buckets at a time and filling the Brute and marking the inside of my Brute container so I can know for sure when I’m at my 20 gallon mark. HTH!

Check your new salt water PH before adding to your tank, make sure they are the same. Make soda ash from baking soda to increase the PH in the new salt water (to increase it).
My recent 50% WC saw a significant slow down in my corals, my PH & Alk down, because the Instant Ocean was lower. It should have been 8.0 or 8.1, but was much lower, cuz my tank dropped to below 8.

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for clarity to the OP.
Instant Ocean makes two salt mixes.
One is Instant Ocean Sea Salt in a purple box, often referred to as Instant Ocean (IO).
The other is Instant Ocean Reef Crystals in an orange box, often referred to as Reef Crystals (RC).

Like many of the above, over the years I have used IO mixed in my 70 Gallon storage, with recirculating pump and heater, to keep change water ready most of the time. Longest I have gone is 6 weeks. I do check the Salinity, PH, temp, and Alkalinity just before each water change. Once in a while I have to make a minor adjustment.

I did try this with RC, but had problems keeping parameters stable in the long term.
I, also, used Brightwell NeoMarine Salt. I could only hold it stable for a week, before having to use adjustments to bring it back to usable levels.

I have very seldom had to do an emergency water change, but it sure is handy when setting up a Quarantine tank or replacing Saltwater after giving some with livestock.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I have used several salt brands and the only one I have used that doesn’t leave a film, is IO. All other salts would precipitate and cause the film on the inside of my barrels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your new salt water PH before adding to your tank, make sure they are the same. Make soda ash from baking soda to increase the PH in the new salt water (to increase it).
My recent 50% WC saw a significant slow down in my corals, my PH & Alk down, because the Instant Ocean was lower. It should have been 8.0 or 8.1, but was much lower, cuz my tank dropped to below 8.

IMO, matching pH in new salt water is not needed or useful, and adding soda ash will boost alkalinity. IO already has plenty of alk, too much for many people.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 59.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back