How to successfully keep SPS Corals!

darryl_v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EXPERIENCE:

• SALTWATER AND SPS SINCE 2005 (some SPS 5yrs old, almost all over 1yr)
  • CURRENT TANK SINCE 2009
EQUIPMENT

• Skimmer: Modified SWC250 Extreme
  • Lighting: 2 x 400w Radium + vho actinic + 20xCREE ROYAL BLUE + 6xCREE COOL WHITE
  • Flow: Tunze Wavebox + 2 x Tunze 6100
  • Return pump: Gen-x mak4
  • Biofilter: SWC biopellets in reactor
  • Ro/di: 6 stage with 0tds output
  • Dosing: Ca+alk on BRS dosing pumps
  • Controller: Ranco temperture only
  • Sumps: 3 x 40g in basement
  • Other: Gfo and carbon in brs reactor
PARAMETERS

• Calcium: 400ppm
  • Alkalinity: 8dkh
  • Magnesium: 1200ppm
  • N03: 0-.02ppm w/Salifert
  • P04: Undectible w/Hanna meter
MAINTENANCE AND METHOD

Maintenance consists of bi-weekly 40G water changes using Instant Ocean Salt. I find this salt economical and sufficient. Like previously mentioned, one 40g breeder tank is used as a water change vessel. This tank is taken off and on the system with the turn of one two inch valve. During the two weeks between water changes the W/C tank is allowed to collect detritus which I clean and siphon at the time of the next water change. During this process I also run the RO/DI (bi-weekly) to fill the 40g tank as well as the 40g storage barrel which will supply the fresh water top up that is needed due to evaporation. The automatic fresh water top-up is accomplished using a solenoid valve and 2 float switches in series. The fish are feed a small amount of omega one flake daily on an eheim fish feeder. In conjunction with that they are feed once more each day consisting of either PE mysis, ¼ nori sheet, or NewLifeSpectrum pellet on rotation. Corals are feed a half cap of NutraKol reef complete twice per week. I also take the time to blast the rocks with a turkey baster at least once per week. I feel this process cleans the rock surface of organic detritus which will break down and feed algae waiting to get a foot hold on the rock. All the equipment is cleaned and inspected at least once or twice a year.

PHILOSOPHY

I believe my personal method and philosophy in keeping difficult SPS corals to be quite simple yet still consists of a few very important factors. Strong lighting with lots of light in the blue and actinic spectrum. Turbulent, random and high flow. Stable parameters, most importantly alkalinity which will affect pH and has the most impact on coral health in my experience. I believe in high import of good quality foods as well as strong nutrient removal methods. Experience and logic has shown me that our captive reef tanks are a small closed system and there is a nutrient balancing act that is taking place. It is easy for this nutrient balance to get skewed, mostly in the direction of nutrient rich but also can be turned nutrient poor. In order to allow a good amount of food to enter the system I make sure I have a large skimmer, waterchange routine, and subsequently use biopellets as a biological means of processing nutrients. I also incorporate the use of GFO(1.5cups) and ROX carbon(2cups), which is changed monthly.

A FEW PICTURES.....

fts.JPG

setosa.JPG

sunsetmonti.JPG

ultimate.JPG

delight.jpg

sept.2.JPG

sept.3.JPG

Last edited:

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread and some great stuff here. I will go snap a few new pics and come back this evening with my contribution as well.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darryl, Im still in love with your pearl berry. Beautiful tank man.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That coral is my favorite, thanks for the bigger pic.

cabi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one else? I'm learning a lot thank you for taking the time on typing it!

IEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darryl,

what is the coral on pic 4 and pic 5? amazing looking sticks.

Mel

darryl_v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
darryl i need to come for a visit soon,once my new tank is setup
how far are you from sweaburg
vic
Not far.....20mins maybe. Just send me a pm if your ever interested in stopping in. I can't say all my corals will be open for fragging but quite a few.

Darryl,
what is the coral on pic 4 and pic 5? amazing looking sticks.
Mel
Ah...ya two of my favorites. Pic 4 is called the ultimate bonsai (tricolour). I got it from Dave Jelly (250g on RC and TOTM) and he got it from another reefer so its a couple generations captive raised and is the nicest tri-colour I've ever laid eyes on. Pic 5 is my own discovery. I bought it as a blue wild coral from what I remember but it RTN'd on me and I saved the base. It was a brown turd for years and I almost throw it out many times but it came back this year looking nothing like the orginal and is just amazing.... not sure of the species but incase I start selling and trading it I call it northern delight. :)

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't consider myself an SPS Guru, yet, but I have been successful, for quite some time, keeping predominately SPS tanks. I say "predominately" because non of my tanks are strictly SPS. They are all mixed reef tanks, leaning towards mostly SPS. I do have large colonies of ORA Red Planet, Oregon Tort, "Seattle Sparkler Acro," (most likely an Acropora loisettae), ORA Miami Orchid, as well as other SPS colonies and lots of frags. I've been successful with SPS, going on about 6 years now, though I have had one complete tank crash, in which I lost most of my SPS and had to start over. In my opinion, most of my SPS have excellent color, though I do have one "brownie," a Purple Montipora digitata, which used to be royal purple and now only has purple tips. The only other issue I have, with color, is my ORA Red Planet, which is receiving too much light so has lost most of it's green. I'm slowly moving it lower in the tank, and the green is coming back.

Now for the details...

My main tank is a 200 Deep Dimension, lit by 10X54W T5HO lighting.
Flow consists of a Mag 18 return pump, returning through (2) 3/4" SeaSwirls. I also have (2)Modded Maxijets and (2) Koralia 4s, inside the tank.
SWC MiniS Cone Skimmer
Calcium Reactor, which has been OFF line for the past 2 years, but will be back online soon.
While the Calcium Reactor has been offline, and prior to owning it, I dose Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium. I make my own supplements, using Randy's Recipes. I shoot for the following levels:
Calcium: 425
Alk: 3.2 meq/l
Mag: 1275-1300

I don't dose anything else.

I'll get some photos posted, soon.

But here's a pic of the 200DD. This pic is about a month old.

6136277367_5d7da1887f_b.jpg

Last edited:

AcroholicReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a list of the equipment that I use on my reef tanks and the light schedule.

Lighting: 250w DE HQI MH Phoenix 14k. Sunrise 12:00 Noon and Sunset 8:00 pm
Flow: 4 X Hydor Koralia Pumps
Return: Eheim 1262
Skimmer: Super Reef Octopus XP 3000 Internal Skimmer
Controller: Neptune System Apex
Calcium and Alkalinity Source: Kalk Reactor with Eheim 1250 mixing pump & tom aquatics aquadoser.
Addition Supplements: 2 X BRS 2 Part dosing pump
Currently only dosing alk for 10 minutes every hour
Total Water Volume: 300g
Food: PE Mysis and Homemade blend 1 X per day

Temperature Range: 78-79 Degrees
pH: Some days 7.8, some days 8.3 (Monitored by Apex)
Ca: Last time I checked it was over 500
dKH: Usually around 8.0
Magnesium: Hardly ever check this but last time I did, it was off the charts.
Salinity: 35 ppt

Last edited:

justreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting AcroholicReefer. What size is your display tank? How often do you do a waterchange? Do you dose anything else? Sorry about all the questions, just trying to get all the info and how about a pic of your tank.

AcroholicReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting AcroholicReefer. What size is your display tank? How often do you do a waterchange? Do you dose anything else? Sorry about all the questions, just trying to get all the info and how about a pic of your tank.
My Display is a 120g RR with a 100g frag tank and a 100g sump. Both systems are less than a year old but are coming along. I try to do a 25 % water change once per month. Here are a couple of shots that I took this afternoon with link a link to my thread.

100g frag tank
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/69597-my-frag-tank-2.html#post796270

IMG_7400600x450.jpg

IMG_7411600x450.jpg

IMG_7413600x450.jpg

IMG_7414600x450.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back