How to successfully remove frag after permanently mounted?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JCOLE
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2018
Messages
4,218
Reaction score
10,592
Location
Charlotte, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone. I recently mounted an Acropora frag using the Superglue Gel-Epoxy-Superglue method. However, I see what looks to be bleaching or RTN starting. If I need to remove the frag then what would be the easiest way to do this without breaking my rock?

I think I might just stick with the superglue instead of epoxy next time??

It is the Acropora directly in the middle on top.
uc
 
Just pull on it with a bit of prying motion (not just straight up), the coral will likely disconnect from the epoxy which will stay attached to the rock.

What’s your plan once you remove the frag?
 
Do you have bone cutters or some pliers? I find it easiest to remove frags by grabbing the base of the coral/super glue and rotating your wrist like you're opening a door handle. With fresh super glue this is typically pretty easy.
 
Bone cutters will do it, you should be able to cut away at the epoxy.
 
Just wiggle it around. Epoxy and CA glue is easy to break, it will come loose.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new