How to support a 90 gallon aquarium

B.Taylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a a rack system set up that currently has a 55 gallon aquarium set up on it in the middle and two 10's and a 20 on the top (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4...-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-N2W772478W4B/319132737). I am looking at upgrading to a 90 gallon glass framed tank and was wanting to add some more support for the weight as the existing shelves are a little flimsy in the middle. I am thinking about getting a sheet of 3/4 plywood and putting it below the tank but I'm not sure if that would be overkill. Alternatively I was also thinking about cutting some 2x4s 24 inches long and running them front to back to distribute the weight to the beams. Any ideas or recommendations?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RocketEngineer has a wonderful stand design that's worked miracles on Home Depot and Lowes garbageboard. Overkill sturdy with plenty of options. How good are you with basic power tools?

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a a rack system set up that currently has a 55 gallon aquarium set up on it in the middle and two 10's and a 20 on the top (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4...-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-N2W772478W4B/319132737). I am looking at upgrading to a 90 gallon glass framed tank and was wanting to add some more support for the weight as the existing shelves are a little flimsy in the middle. I am thinking about getting a sheet of 3/4 plywood and putting it below the tank but I'm not sure if that would be overkill. Alternatively I was also thinking about cutting some 2x4s 24 inches long and running them front to back to distribute the weight to the beams. Any ideas or recommendations?

I definitely wouldn't use that for a 90. Surprised it hasn't failed with the 55 honestly. I'd just build a stand and cabinet out of 2x4s or 2x4s and 4x4s that's what I did. Works great, you can see how it's assembled in our build thread.

I would definitely do something more stable though, you don't want it to fail and you lose your tank and livestock.

Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back