How to support a 90 gallon aquarium

B.Taylor

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2023
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Illinois
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a a rack system set up that currently has a 55 gallon aquarium set up on it in the middle and two 10's and a 20 on the top (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4...-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-N2W772478W4B/319132737). I am looking at upgrading to a 90 gallon glass framed tank and was wanting to add some more support for the weight as the existing shelves are a little flimsy in the middle. I am thinking about getting a sheet of 3/4 plywood and putting it below the tank but I'm not sure if that would be overkill. Alternatively I was also thinking about cutting some 2x4s 24 inches long and running them front to back to distribute the weight to the beams. Any ideas or recommendations?
 
I have a a rack system set up that currently has a 55 gallon aquarium set up on it in the middle and two 10's and a 20 on the top (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4...-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-N2W772478W4B/319132737). I am looking at upgrading to a 90 gallon glass framed tank and was wanting to add some more support for the weight as the existing shelves are a little flimsy in the middle. I am thinking about getting a sheet of 3/4 plywood and putting it below the tank but I'm not sure if that would be overkill. Alternatively I was also thinking about cutting some 2x4s 24 inches long and running them front to back to distribute the weight to the beams. Any ideas or recommendations?

I definitely wouldn't use that for a 90. Surprised it hasn't failed with the 55 honestly. I'd just build a stand and cabinet out of 2x4s or 2x4s and 4x4s that's what I did. Works great, you can see how it's assembled in our build thread.

I would definitely do something more stable though, you don't want it to fail and you lose your tank and livestock.

Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new