Will this all metal shelving unit support multiple tanks?

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this all metal shelving unit support multiple tanks? For example, 4 10-gallon tanks on the 2nd shelf from the bottom, and a 40 gallon tank above it?

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Will this all metal shelving unit support multiple tanks? For example, 4 10-gallon tanks on the 2nd shelf from the bottom, and a 40 gallon tank above it?

IMG_3189.png

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seawater is 8.68 lbs per gallon. So 10 gallons = 86.8 lbs plus glass plus the difference between displaced water and any rock or objects placed therein. 4 of those is 347.2lbs of water alone. I would always make sure to add in a safety factor of 10%. So, if shelf says 500lbs, max working load less 10% for safety =450, meaning as long as you don't add an extra 100lbs and the shelf is rated 500, g2g.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one to support a single 40 breeder, seems sturdy enough. Several videos on youtube showing people setting them up to hold multiple tanks.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No!!!! I personally tried it and absolutely not with a tank full of water. Yes in will hold the compression weight just fine but as soon as you add lateral movement it will start to weaken. I tried it for about a day and while watching my tank I could see the oscillating wave forming on the supports. DIY 2×4 stands really easy to make. That being said I still use that stand for ball pythons.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's compression weight straight down. Any lateral movement is risky. I personally use that same rack for pythons and I strongly discourage anyone from using it for aquatics.
Agreed. I'd only try putting a tank on the bottom shelf...

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one to support a single 40 breeder, seems sturdy enough. Several videos on youtube showing people setting them up to hold multiple tanks.
Yeah I saw them too but I'm warning you it's a seriously bad idea. I know because I tried it. My risk avoidance level may be different from YouTube but I could not trust a stand that had visible movement by someone walking by it on a ground floor tile floor. It's fine for terrestrial animals but not full of a dynamic fluid.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on where you put it. If lateral movement is accounted for, like installing it in a corner AND strapping it to the walls, the only force at play would be compressive. Dont put it somewhere it can rack or brace it accordingly.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that mine is set up as 2 individual shelving units. One shelf at the bottom most point and one at the highest available point. The unit sits between a wall and my 120 which shares a sump so there is no way for someone to bump it laterally.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back