How to swap tanks?

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I may be crazy, but I'm thinking about swapping out my tank with one that's slightly larger and nicer and wanted to get some thoughts on this.

Let me just set the scene. I got a free 20-gallon long tank this summer, with only a vague idea that I might like to try going marine with it. It was my lockdown project to "restore" it and I took it apart completely, silicone-d it back together, painted the back black etc. This was my first attempt at re-sealing an aquarium and it seemed to go pretty well, though there are some bubbles in the joints and I used a lot of silicone, though it's not too noticeable (though obviously not as neat a new tank). It also has some pretty bad scratches on the glass, nothing too bad, but noticeable up close, and an unsightly bracing/black rim.

Fast forward, I ended up going marine and 4 months in all is going well. Parameters are all good, fish and coral are very happy. However, I keep having moments of total panic that, at some point, my less than professional sealing will give. Moreover, the stand the aquarium is on has sunk a tiny bit in the middle – I anticipated this and put braces inside the cabinet, but the floor itself wasn't level (I should have checked this!) and so this bracing didn't fully prevent some sagging from occurring.

Recently, I came across a lovely tank that's a bit larger (35 gallons), has beautifully curved edges and no brace/rim. It's also in great condition and practically new (no scratches, silicone looks great). My question is, could I swap everything over to this new tank without causing a crash? I assume this would be similar to what you might do if moving house, and so should be feasible. All my equipment was a bit oversized and will still be so on this new tank, so no issues there. The tank is powered by a massive canister packed with biomedia, which can easily be swapped to a new tank, so no need to cycle.

My plan would be to quickly move everything out and into large containers (I can whack the heating on full to ensure that nothing gets cold) with air stones and hopefully get everything swapped over in an hour or two.

My main concern is the sandbed. By now it'll be full of beneficial bacteria and so I worry using new sand will cause issues, or a mini-cycle or something. I wonder if, as it's new enough, I can just transfer the sand I currently have to the new tank? I have kept it clean and so doubt there's any noxious gas build-up.

What do you guys think? I would also build a new cabinet that is stronger and make sure this time it is level. If this was a freshwater tank I wouldn't even think twice, but because it's marine, I'm worried about upsetting the balance, especially as things are going well. That said, I feel like now is the time to do it, if at all, before my coral frags grow too large.

Thanks for any tips!

Chris

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

100 examples of tank swaps and moves and cyano cures. All same set of moves, none differ.

literally any link job clicked there shows the tank break down, separation of animals, rinsing in tap in buckets, clean sand, re assembly skip cycle

you are just reassembling elsewhere vs original tank. Same steps.

If you want total safety, the opposite of what you were thinking above is the case, you’d rinse sand in tap water then reuse it in the new tank. Post 1 then all the pages of jobs shows why, sandbed bacteria don’t do what we think they do

for sure can skip it and just move it all, but that approach has about a 20% loss rate due to recycle. Before you begin, specifically search out tank swaps that failed, they did opposite than above.

the way to know which method to use is to research methods based on losses v wins logged, then choose accordingly. Specifically don’t start the job before seeing a set of loss threads contrasted to the link above

Last edited:

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is less than 6 months old so just beginning . Outside of a QUiCK rinse of the sand in SALT WATER your plan sounds fine. Bare bottom is also an option.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it should be tap. It won’t get clear enough in limited saltwater. That’s a risky move, causes loss in tank transfers.

concerning over killing bacteria is specifically dangerous, it makes you rinse less vs more, then clouding rides into the new tank and the clouding kills the new setup temporarily. do not concern over them. Clean the old system, set up clean in new, skip cycle for five years, all in one link.

for sure you can skip all that and just move, we want to track the outcome either way. Especially if you move unrinsed sand we compile outcomes for pattern searching.

also curious to see any other pattern thread links with more than one tank swap on file, so that we dont have to take on single examples. pattern searching is where its at/safe prep.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris your entire job boils down to one single thing: how are you going to set up a zero cloud new system

clouding is the risk, not loss of bac, its opposite of how we've been trained by each other in forum posts. Use all the saltwater you'd like for rinsing, just move over zero cloud and you wont have a recycle. The recycle is not caused by lack of bacteria, even where we're instantly removing whole sandbeds there for folks who want to be bare bottom (old rules said had to come out in sections, false)

moving and stirring up detritus is the sole risk in your plan.

in prep you'll notice we can easily instantly remove the entire sandbed from any reef on this whole board and either not put it back or put it back clean/replaced, that really matters in what is being advised for your tank swap.

sandbed bacteria simply do not matter in reefing. were it not for the thread above and lack of alternative work sets to read that w sound crazy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chris_pull

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the rapid replies, that's really very helpful.

I hadn't thought about the fact people remove sand beds and go bare bottom without issues.

I have lots of reading to do tonight on the other threads you linked. I'd not heard of "rip cleaning" before.

Thanks again. I will read the information you linked and come back if I have questions :)

Back